Splint - light work or complete rest?

ImmyS

Visit site
*Just to say I will be consulting vet but just interested in other peoples experiences and opinions*

Gutted that Finn has thrown a relatively small splint, he had such clean legs ?.

But horses will be horses. He moved to a new field a few days ago so can only imagine he has walloped himself having a hooley as he isn’t almost the most elegant of beasts!

I discovered it Monday evening and he has been sound. No heat, tenderness on palpating and it is hard.

There is so much differing advice and opinions on whether horses should be rested or to continue with light work if splint is inactive.

My concern is that I had just got to a point where I was happy with Finn’s weight. He is looking and feeling great so I am concerned about him having too much time off but equally I don’t want to make it worse.

I have not been in this situation before. Arlo threw a splint whilst turned away for winter so was rested anyway and then he came into work as normally come spring with no issues.

As I have only really just got into the swing of things with Finn and he is now what I would consider in regular work I’m unsure.

He is currently being rested until I speak to vet but just curious to get opinions.

picture of said offending splint -
1786E560-FDF5-41F7-BB6D-2CF585C2477C.jpeg

Carrottom

Visit site
Our vet recommended treatment with Ekyflogel which reduced the size of the splint. IIRC we rested whilst treating for 2 weeks then began light exercise for a few weeks and then back into work.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Lots of young horses throw splints as long as his sound with no heat I would carry on work but avoid hard ground and take it easy.

One of my Arab's got one at 5 it completely went down and you can't see it at all now.

My other Arab had one a few years ago it was literally huge like an egg and it took ages to shrink and you can still very slightly see it.

Neither were lame.

Carrottom

Visit site
Sound I work, lame I rest. But I am unconcerned about the cosmetics of them.
This was my take, the vet was seeing the horse for a different reason and we discussed the splint in passing. As she recommended trying Ekyflogel I decided to give it a go.

ImmyS

Visit site
I would simply give 6 weeks field rest, re-start with walk work afterwards.

Won't do the horse any harm anyway, to have a break to grow up some.

I would worry about having a very fat horse which equally would probably not be beneficial! It’s a minefield!

ImmyS

Visit site
Thanks for input.
Will likely rest for a further few days then continue work. He is only doing walking hacks mostly anyway so will reintroduce and build up again slowly whilst monitoring.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I'm not up to date with the thinking of whether to give time off or not for a splint, years ago as long as they were sound they would be in light work bit no longer know if this is the recommended. But with regards to Finn's lovely clean legs, J threw a huge splint as a 5 year old when he had time off through the winter, think little finger size on side of his cannon. It reduced more and more over the years and now you could hardly find it.

ImmyS

Visit site
I'm not up to date with the thinking of whether to give time off or not for a splint, years ago as long as they were sound they would be in light work bit no longer know if this is the recommended. But with regards to Finn's lovely clean legs, J threw a huge splint as a 5 year old when he had time off through the winter, think little finger size on side of his cannon. It reduced more and more over the years and now you could hardly find it.

Thats reassuring! Finns is only small compared to some I have seen so I am hopeful it will also not be noticeable after a while x

sunleychops

Visit site
mine threw one a few weeks back, never went lame and only noticed by chance as he cut himself just below it. I always tend to err on the side of caution however and did field rest for a couple of weeks as its still technically a fracture and therefore still bone activity and remodelling taking place