splint

juliebrewer

Visit site
My 4 year old pony has developed a small splint on the inside front leg. You can't see it but you can feel it (winter hairy legs). Its boney, not hot, he isnt lame. Should I turn him away or ride quietly. Ive only been walking and trotting as he was only broken in last November.... Will it go down or stay the same?

jcberry

Visit site
*i think* Alex_Kate's horse had a splint? im not sure though, maybe ask her about it.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
It will often stay the same size although some do go down after time.

If it isn't hot and he is still sound then you are fine to continue riding him gently. Some splints do cause trouble. One of my horses threw a splint and has been slightly lame for a month or two now.

It is usual that splints cause no lameness and are never much of a problem once they have come through, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Klaudette

Visit site
Get your farrier to have a look. Incorrect foot balance is one cause for splint development. Your farrier is in the best position to advise you and correct any problems before they become too troublesome.

juliebrewer

Visit site
Hey thx for that, he dosnt have shoes on yet but he has worn his toes down abit which makes his pasterns abit upright. Will be ringing the farrier tonight to get his feet done, maybe its time for shoes,..

catembi

Visit site
My 4 y o got splints on both legs...they started off the size of walnuts but then they got smaller & by the time I sold him you couldn't really see them unless you knew what you were looking for.

His were warm so I had to work him in walk for 6 months which was very tedious indeed. You could get started on your lateral work tho if he's ready?