splints (again) lol

SJ_06

Visit site
My youngster has a splint in exact same spot on both his front legs. one of them has only just occured..

One of my friends said to give him a week off and keep hosing it so it goes away, (is this right yea?)
the new one is very very small.
I thought about using spintex aswell, for both but the other one is old so i guess I'd have to use splintex silver on the new one and gold on the other? there not causing him any probs,

expensivvve lol

mitchellk

Visit site
My horse threw a splint after being kicked last year. He was already turned away due to arthritic changes in hock so we popped on magnetic boots to see what happens and it has completely disappeared can't even feel anything! Was given Splintex to try but to be honest didn't bother trying but a friend has had good resultd with a boney lump on her horses nasal bone!!?

Jose

Visit site
I would normally give between 4 and 6 weeks off for a splint - definately takes longer than a week to form. Cold hosing & bute is a good idea. Comfrey oil works well to reduce them too, a lot cheaper than splintex.

mitchellk

Visit site
Mine were N.E.W and about £60 for brushing boots, but if i were to buy again I would opt for Bioflow as they have excellent customer service. We put the boots on at night only as the new boots are fleece lined and don't like legs getting too warm (weakened tendons etc)- Bioflow aren't fleece lined!

abbi

Visit site
Do splints actually make them lame or is it just recommended that you give them time off? I think my youngsters forming one on his hind leg, how long before its too late?!

Halfstep

Visit site
My horse has been lame for nearly three weeks now due to a tiny, not particularly hot, splint on a fore leg. It is very frustrating. He already has another one which appeared fully formed a while ago and never caused him to take an off step. So, I think whether they cause lameness or not depends on the position of the splint and how long it takes to fully form. I'm having his splint bones x-rayed and an ultrasound scan on both legs next week to make sure that they suspensory ligament isn't being effected by the splint and to check that the splint bones are intact.
I'd cold hose a new splint twice a day regardless, but if the horse is sound I'd continue work as usual but avoid hard ground. If the splint is hot or painful to touch, I'd rest or walk gently for a while as well as cold hosing.

Davelee

www.myspace.com
My horse has just developed a splint, the vet said to not work her for4 wks, she could be in or out, but if she is out it may get bigger and then cause lameness?! So i've left her in, bandaged, iced 20 mins twice a day, magnetic boots for 8hrs a day, arnica gel and homeopathic remedy, di calcium phosphate and finally...hilton herbs rest and recover, its for horses on box rest and is brill!!!!

abbi

Visit site
Do splints ever really go down? My boy isn't lame at all so i've continued working him in the school, it doesn't seem to have got any bigger. Are bioflow boots the best ones to use on this kind of thing? They only come in tendon wraps for the stable tho, will this have the right effect?