splints in yearlings

not_with_it

Visit site
There is always something :rolleyes:

Yesterday I noticed that Dixie had splints on both front legs which appeared overnight. One appears to have grown and one has stayed the same.
The vet is coming on monday so I will get him to have a look.
I know that there is nothing I can do about them and they must have been caused by the hard ground. She isnt lame or sore at all but obviously I dont want them to get bigger. She is going through a growth spurt atm.

Has anyone else had this happen in a horse so young?

parkside

Visit site
Lots of times - don't worry on a youngster of that age and thrown as a pair I would place a hefty wager on them being gone within 12 months. Often one goes first.

TBB

Visit site
one year I had a TB filly which put up two hugh splints, she was light of bone and the splints nearly doubled the width of her legs:eek:. Now she has just a small one on one leg and even that is getting smaller by the week. She received no treatment, we just kept an eye to make sure that she didnt become lame and she didnt.

TBB

Visit site
Tried editing previous post but couldnt:eek:. It should read Last year not one year. Sorry:D

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Ive had them in 3 year olds but never yearlings.

Ballyshanhorses - I dont care how they look so long as they dont cause any problems. Shes not bred to show and wont be for sale so I can live with a few lumps and bumps. :D

Smee

Visit site
On of my yearling has just done the same. Both front legs, although 1 worse than the other! Luckily not taking him to futurity as he's an ugly bug at the mo anyway ;o)
A couple of years ago after I entered yearling in futurity, she threw a splint. We still went anyway. Got marked down at vet stage, but evaluators were much more forgiving. Now as a 3yo, you can't spot or feel anything! I'm hoping this year's colt will do the same.

Did once put bio magnetic leg wraps on an (older) horse that threw a splint & it too disappeared. Not sure if I will try them on the yearling tho?!
My fingers are crossed for you too nat1003.