Splints

RachelB

Visit site
I've done a search on the H&H site and forum, but can't seem to find the answer I need...
My horse has what I think is an old splint (I've seen splints before), but this one is on the outside of her foreleg and nearing the top of the splint bone. I've been away for a week and when I came back I noticed the splint - I think it's got bigger. Horse is not bothered at all by it, it isn't sore, horse isn't lame etc. etc., hasn't been hammered around on this hard ground (although she does have very upright feet and legs which will probably make things worse).
So my question is, can old splints get bigger, and if so can they do this without soreness and lameness, and in the space of a week?
Just want to know if I'm imagining things or if I need to worry!
confused.gif

jess_asterix

Visit site
my pony has exactly the same and it also seems to have got bigger in the last month or so and he is not lame/sore with it

sorry this was no help at all!

UKa

community.webshots.com
Mine has a boney growth on the outside of her foreleg since the winter. It has not bothered her and she is not lame there is no heat so I have not had anything done about it, but I check it every day just in case. I vaguely remember having seen a very small version of the same lump last summer on the leg but then did not follow up as we then got trouble with a kick in the field and another leg was to be attended … so I think it got bigger this year but now it appears to be stable.

Farasi

Visit site
Hi, bone can change shape throughout a horses life and splints can get bigger and smaller. My horse had a large splint on his foreleg and i used an homeopathic remedy on him and now you wouldn't know it was ever there. It took a while and intially he was a bit sore but now his leg is clean.