Splints

S_N

Visit site
(Also posted in Vets forum - just thought you guys would know too - it's oddly something I've not dealt with very often)

Just how quickly can they come on?

Having had no sign of lameness, B has developed a whooper on the inside of her LF leg. She's ALWAYS had such clean legs - not even a windgall!! I wasn't there 2 weeks ago when I moved yards and I pick out their feet almost daily and I noticed it last night - it's SOLID and HUGE!!! Am really, really peed off!! I want to show her and the foal in-hand next year and I fear this will go against her
mad.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
If it has only just come it might be worth getting some of that Splintex Gold (or whatever it is called) as it would probably make a huge difference. Hannah had a pretty big one on her near hind which was caused when she knocked it over a solid jump. It has decreased a little through time, but is still visible.

lastresort

Visit site
Got some splintex gold for my ponies splint and it didnt work, but i am going to try again with it unless anyone else has better idea. Her pony looks like he has a golf ball on his leg and she isnt bothered but at pony club someone said something to her and she got upset.

I told her not to worry as it wont matter when she starts to event him in a couple of years!!

Whats DMSO?

KatB

Visit site
DMSO is a type of solvent that is absorbed through the skin and takes away swelling and can apparently help with splints!! If you do a google search on DMSO, there is some interesting research done with it.....

Tempi

Visit site
DMSO didnt work on Archie's, nor did Splintex, and nor did the 'lemon bandaging'. I was advised by my vet to keep him in off hard ground for 2wks (so only ridden on a surface and the rest of the time stabled) and to cold hose it twice a day. It went down a bit, but my vet said nothing will ever make a splint completly disappear.

S_N

Visit site
Thank yo one and all!!

DMSO is the abreviation of Dimethylsulphoxide (sp?) It does as KatB says....
grin.gif

Am I wrong to be peed off with this?

kerilli

Visit site
i've had them come up out of nowhere. i've used DMSO in the past with success, plus splints do re-form after a year or so and flatten out, almost disappearing in some cases.
surgery is a drastic option... i know vets will remove fractured splints, anyway. i'd talk to your vet about it.

S_N

Visit site
It really has srung up from nowhere, there is NO heat and NO swelling and it's absolutely solid and doesn't hurt her one bit.

I'll have a chat with the vet as you say - as it's not caused an issue (so far) and she's in-foal, the more I think about it, the more I am loathe to do anything to it tbh

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
my TB mare threw very large solid splints as a 4yo, by 6/7 you couldn't notice them unless you really felt for them and they were tiny. She's 15 now. She never went lame or had heat or anything either.

_daisy_

Visit site
mines got one Ibs. It appeared from no where, didnt cause any problems and has decreased in size. It tried the DMSO and bone embrocation. It worked to an extent but like PG said you can never get rid of them totally. Ive never had any probs with her splint since it arrived (oh yes it just appeared before her vetting for insurance
mad.gif
- just my bloody luck)

Damien

Visit site
the dreaded splint......... yes they spring from no where but always as a result of trauma, they can cause lameness but not always.
Vets will intervene in older horses if the splint causes friction against the ligaments but generally once reduced which they generally do although its painstakingly long are of no consequence.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/ansci/g02742.htm

will basically explain everything........

freinds in South Africa swear that lemon juice applied regulary works wonders and have heard others quote the same but have never actually tried it..