Split finger ends - Help please, what do you use in winter?

missmatch

Visit site
Conotrane, Its a barrier and mild antiseptic cream. Use it on my sons skin grafts so he can go swimming. Available in chemists/amazon etc..

Megibo

Visit site
This has happened to me first time this year! Middle finger on right hand, top left corner just above the nail its really deep split in the skin and HURTS! You can pull the skin apart it looks like an eye blinking lol It had almost healed and grown out before splitting open again last week back to square one :(

jodie3

Visit site
My fingers crack at the first sign of the temperature dropping and my thumb will crack if it gets muddy what ever time of year it is.

I sympathise with everyone who suffers this as it is ridiculous how much such a small cut can smart and when you have them on several fingers it makes things very miserable.

I get laughed at for it but I find the easiest solution is to wear thin latex gloves all the time when I am working or in the garden or doing anything that I know will encourage them to crack. You can get them from all sorts of places, Aldi had some a couple of weeks ago, the 99p store does small boxes and places like Halfords have them but they are quite expensive there. If you are allergic to latex you can get the other sort but the name escapes me at the moment!

If I do get a crack the best plasters are the Elastoplast finger strip ones as they have a much longer plaster bit and don't come off so easily.

I have tried hundreds of hand creams and agree with the others who say The Body Shop hemp handcream is very good. It is on offer at the moment at £5 a tube. They also do one for feet which is good but (touch wood) I seem to have solved my cracked heels by just applying liberal amounts of (any) moisturiser every day, twice a day if I can. At the first sign of my heel feeling sore I use a Compeed plaster on the sore part and so far I have prevented any full blown cracks. In fact for the first time in years my feet don't resemble some sort of monster's paws and on the rare occasions I wear tights they don't ladder before I have even left the house!

MochaDun

Visit site
I used the Body Shop Intensive almond oil hand rescue cream but think they now call it almond hand and nail butter. It's the only thing that stopped the fingers splitting. Pricey though. Gone up from about £8 to £11 per tub :(

limestonelil

Visit site
hello Daisy - not read all replies so this may have been suggested by loads of people but I have had success using only emulsifying ointment to wash hands with,( buy at a chemist type place),never use liquid soap or wash up without gloves, using neutrogena hand cream daily and take a high quality evening primrose oil supplement at a high dose. All these together worked well for me - the palms of my hands had split in places too - but being really strict about no other products eventually worked, something like three weeks. and keep a steroid cream to use sparingly when the cracks first appear. Hope this helps - split skin is soooh sore at times. Take care.

mynutmeg

Visit site
I used to get this really bad every winter and the thing thats cured it for me is seal skinz gloves - I can do wet tasks while keeping my hands dry and warm so they don't get the wet/drying cycle that does the damage. They're expensive but last winter is the first year I've not had very deep splits at the corners of my nails

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
For cracked heals, I dip my heal in a tub of thick cocoa butter every night before bed, preferably before the cracks appear. I also found that neoprene lined wellies often caused them.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site

DJ

Visit site
Thank you all for some fab replies :D ..... I`m sure i`ve tried the hemp one too, but will give it a go again. At least i have a few new more ideas to try now.