Split mouth on one side?

OliveBuffy1129

Visit site
Hi
I have a mare who used to suffer with a split mouth both sides but since we've changed her bit to a sprenger 16mm dynamic RS she now doesn't get them on the left side and the right ones are considerably better. But she still gets them schooling or hacking when shes strong. She has an incredibly low palette and small mouth and I'm wondering if it would he worth trying a thinner bit and seeing if that makes a difference? I also tend to hold her more on the right rein which I am trying tk correct but as she also leans more that side we are finding it very difficult.

Healing isn't much of a problem, we use manuka honey & dentisept and then bit butter when riding however used vaseline once which has resplit it :(

Any ideas for where to go now both for dressage bits and tips for me to work on her not leaning so much on the right rein and me hanging on more?

ginger_dressage_pony

Visit site
One of mine has a super sensitive mouth, splits really easily, I use bit butter religiously, and even then still splits, usually if he is being strong and silly for some reason, or in a test at a show! I now hack and do some schooling in a hackamore, to minimize having a bit in his mouth. The best things I have found are the acavallo bit guards which go inside the mouth as well, they have been a godsend to one of my particuarly fussy dressage horses! IMO Vaseline worse than nothing at all. I also give a few mints/sugar cubes once his but is in, so his mouth is lovely and wet and slobbery from the start, helps prevent rubbing. If it does get split, I use Gold Label 'Glymol'. Best stuff ever!!

star

Visit site
I could have written that exact post. Recently swapped my boy from a neue Schule to a 14mm RS dynamic and magic his split is healed. I have switched his jumping bit from a neue Schule universal to a RS dynamic Pelham and although we can still get a small crack if he's really strong it is soooo much better than the huge split I was getting. It's only ever on the left side.

OliveBuffy1129

Visit site
I could have written that exact post. Recently swapped my boy from a neue Schule to a 14mm RS dynamic and magic his split is healed. I have switched his jumping bit from a neue Schule universal to a RS dynamic Pelham and although we can still get a small crack if he's really strong it is soooo much better than the huge split I was getting. It's only ever on the left side.

So pleased there sounds like theres light at the end of the tunnel! Going to swap her sprenger to a 14mm & see if that makes her a little less fiddly/leany with her small mouth then start looking for a jump bit. Looking at the sprenger dynamic pelham but she can be quite fussy that if its to strong then she backs off but is so strong,

galaxy

Visit site
My mare used to get this, even if we'd just been for a hack sometimes and I'd have hardly used my reins as she's not strong at all! Recently I've started smearing her lips with e45 cream and she hasn't had a split since. I just think they must be naturally a bit dry rather than it being a bit or contact issue.