split reins or double?

connemaras

www.thekarluksiberianhuskies.com
just wondering im goin to try take my NF to a sponsored ride in oct, lst time i did this i could not hold her and all she wanted to do was go, it was gettin to the point of felling unsafe, shes in a dutch gag at the moment but onliy on the snaffle ring as its too strong on bottom ring, i have asked to change the bit, have been suggested a hanging cheek, but i think she will still ignor the bit, so i ws thinking of using split reins or double reins, on snaffle ring and 2nd ring, what would any of you suggest?? any help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Use two reins - one on the snaffle, and one on the bottom.

That way when she starts getting too strong you can take a pull on the bottom ring.

Effectively you are riding your horse in snaffle at the moment - as you are unwilling to use the bottom ring - so you should find a difference.

Make sure you ride in double reins in advance of the sponsored ride though to make sure you are both happy.

connemaras

ok, last time we did this sponsored ride i tryed takin a small bit of contact on the bottom ring but she refused it and she tucked her head in soo far, she did not walk forward until i droped all contact! i was thinking of another bit but i am unsure as to what bit to try as i dont want to spend loads of money on bits that will not work,
confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
she tucked her head in soo far

[/ QUOTE ]
That is the action of this particular bit - so maybe not the one for her.

Have you tried a pelham or kimblewick which do not act on the poll?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's not really a question of a bit that is harsh - a Kimblewick and Pelham just have slightly different actions.

AmyMay always went very well in a Kimblewick out hunting - it has a ported mouthpiece which she really liked.

You've just got to see what works best for you and nag.

connemaras

i have not yet fitted two reins, if you re-read my post i think you will find that i am asking for help as her mouth cannot take the pressure from the gag, i was just asking as a question would it be better to have two reins or split reins or cahnge the bit,
but i dont think tht i will be stying with the gag as they are not my fav choice of bits.
thank you for telling me tho