splitting frog :S

chunk

Visit site
my little welsh mountain pony is suffering from splitting frogs is there any explaination for this or is it natural for horses?

she is ridden ouside in fields and inside on hard combination of shavings and school dust could this be affecting her hooves?!

also she is very moody is there anyhting i can do to calm her down in riding and stable as i fear for childrens safety as she is used on a riding school.

yours Chunk A.K.A Stephen

lillie07

Visit site
Can't help with the frogs, but there are lots of supplements about for Moody mares!
smile.gif

brightmount

Visit site
Frogs do exfoliate, but difficult to say if there's a problem without pics.

On the off-chance it could be a thrush infection, my Equine Podiatrist recommends the old favourite - Sudocrem, which you can plaster over the frog and in the clefts each side.

chunk

Visit site
yes my yard manager said thrush just trying to get a general overview =0 thanks ill try get some sudocream i would get pics but it takes two hands to lift her feet up! as she is quite a mooody girl

Peanot

Visit site
Hi,
I would brush the liquid stockholm tar all over the frog to moisten it up and stick it together, this also protects it. One of my horses frog has small splits and to stop it getting worse, I put this over it before I turn her out to protect it from all the wet atm. This is also good if there is any thrush in there.