Sponsership - a few questions

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
My sister and partner have spent the last year setting up a new company, and I joking said last week that they should sponser me and Jerry and get some free advertising
grin.gif

She then spoke to me yesterday and said that she had talked it over with her partner and that they would be willing to sponser us
shocked.gif

Problem is they have never sponsered any one and I have never been sponsered so none of us know what to do next
tongue.gif

I was only joking when I said it but she seems to have taking it very seriously and so thought I better find out what we do next. Any info, advice appreciated
smile.gif

Wan2bEventer

sacramenta-z.blogspot.com
My employers sponsor me, its fab! Congratulations! What I did was put together a brief plan with my goals and ambitions for this season, and beyond, and worked out roughly how much I spend on training and competing at this level. I showed this to my employer, giving them the option to just sponsor one activity, or jsut the entry fees etc etc, and they decided to offer me half of my total amount - in monthly installments. They also agreed to supply me with as much sponsored clothing for me and the horses as we could lay our hands on - they wanted to get the most out of their deal!
smile.gif

I would suggest doing a plan like this, and then letting your sister decide how she wants to play it. Get everything in writing, and say thank you - lots and lots! It makes a huge difference, and actually attracts other sponsors too
wink.gif

Brilliant news well done!!

xx

Wan2bEventer

sacramenta-z.blogspot.com
Just a thought also - try to offer her something beyond the advertising too - for example can you do a blog that they can link to their website, help out with open days or marketing activities with the horses etc? Also try to get as much visibility for them as possible - try to get yourself pictured in local newspapers and horsey mags, and put yourself forwards for as many clinics and big events as possible
wink.gif

kerilli

Visit site
agree with all the above. look at what you can give them in return, really. as soon as you've got things set up, ring local press and ask them if they'll do a pic and a story (they're usually desperate for material, i've found... the only thing is that you have to ask nicely if you can check everything before they print, otherwise lots of hideous errors and mis-quotes tend to sneak in).
what does their company do/make? is there an obvious tie-in with horsey stuff?
also, i hate to have to say it, but it's spelt "sponsorship", and it'd look better if it was right on everything!
totting up costs is frightening though, make sure you've got a nice glass of wine to hand at the end!

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
oops I am an awful speller
blush.gif

Thanks for all the info, my sister company do websites and programming mostly so not really horse related, but she did my website for me too.

I think they were talking about paying entry fees so we will see
smile.gif

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Lucky you ,enjoy and it will be nice for them to take an interest as well.
I have been tempted to ask our feed supplier if they will sponsore, we have actually been really pleased with their feed and think our horses have improved in their condition since introducing their own feeds. You have given me the courage to try. They used to sponsore a pro. but he has moved yards and not sure if they still sponsore him but worth a try.

Thistle

Visit site
If you are sponsored then it can be seen taht you are doing it for reward, this has implications for the legislation for your lorry, I believe you will have to do the handling certificates and possibly come under the drivers hours regulations, you need to check all the red tape out thoroughly

DidiR

Visit site
There are other things to think about too... like if your sister's company is VAT registered, it makes sense that they pick up the VAT-charged bills (eg entry fees, not feed for example) as they can claim back the VAT as advertising costs. So her cost is less, but the benefit to you is greater, if that makes sense.

BE do a handout/download on sponsorship, so have a look for that, too.