Spooky horse tales for halloween

Patchworkpony

Visit site
forgot to post this one on my earlier thread. I used to live on a farm and I saw a dark bay grazing near the brook by the hawthorn hedges ,one day when we were travelling along the lane with the kids coming home from an outing. We went to look thinking someone had dumped a horse on us but it wasnt there nor anywhere to be found. We had had a dark bay mare PTS a few weeks earlier. I think she had come home.
How lovely - these posts about horses returning home are so uplifting.

Nessa4

Visit site
Not horsey but.... have just spent 20 mins looking for my car keys (not on the hook I *always* keep it on), including completely emptying my handbag. In the end I stood in the middle of the room and said, loudly, "Please put them back Geoff, I've got to go to Fat Club". Lo and behold, the damn thing turned up on top of my handbag. Couldn't possibly have missed them earlier. This happens a lot and I always have to appeal to Geoff. He was my Husband, and died nearly 5 years ago. He always had a warped sense of humour.

ETA I do find it quite comforting to still have him around - and he actually spoke to me when I was ruminating about buying a horse 3 years ago encouraging me to go ahead. Despite the fact that he was terrified of horses when alive!!

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I'm a sceptical as they come but this had me quite spooked especially as it happened on Halloween.

About 5 or 6 years ago I went straight from work to feed the horses at about 4.30 so it was just starting to get dark.

They were still living out as it was mild so I took their feed buckets down to the field, which is oblong and surrounded on two sides by some woods which are L shaped. The gate's at the top of the hill but as it's flat and then drops down you can't see the bottom from the gate. The horse always come when they're called so I gave them a shout M came trotting over but no sign of A - who is normally the first there. I called a few times but still nothing so I wandered into the field, still no sign. I went down into the woods which really were quite dark calling and calling and still nothing.

By this point I'd been looking for about 10 minutes and was getting really worried. I've always thought if anyone was going to steal a horse at our yard it would be A as he's so friendly and easy to catch. Telling myself not to be so daft I walked round and round those woods for another 10 minutes. It then dawned on me it was Halloween so I was got myself into a right panic.

I kept hearing twigs breaking behind me but every time I turned around - nothing. I decided I had to get out of the woods and started to walk out. I then felt something touch my hand from behind, screamed and spun round, to find A stood behind me looking perplexed. It was him all along. He obviously been trying to get to me but in my state of panic I wasn't staying still long enough for me to reach him. With it being so much darker in the woods, I couldn't see him behind trees whenever I turned around.

So not a ghost story at all, but just goes to show how even the most cynical of us get a bit spooked in certain situations!

willhegofirst

Visit site
Not a horse, but our first collie always barked when she wanted to come back in when she was outside, she lived to a grand old age and was PTS at home, over the next few days, both my OH and myself got up to let her back in when we heard her bark, on two occasions both at the same time.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
I had a weird experience a few years ago. My boyfriend and I were sharing a flat at uni, and I woke up one morning to find him standing by the bed, leaning over me and staring into my face with a weird blank expression. Problem: he had gone home to visit his parents and was approximately 300 miles away at the time. I squealed and jumped, and he was gone. If I'd seen him standing near the coats hanging on the door, or some other object that could be blearily confused for a person, I might have written it off as a trick of the light, but he was inches away from my face. Problem number two: I could see his tattoo on the top of his right arm. His tattoo is on his left arm. I rang him, frantic, convinced he had died and come to visit me one last time (obviously the only rational explanation). He was fine, just irritated at being woken up so early.

The thing is, he told me (later, he didn't want to freak me out when I was alone) he had a twin who was stillborn, he told me about how he found this out in his teens, and the imaginary little boy he used to play with as a child who had the same name as his twin. His nephew, as a toddler, used to complain about a little boy who kept coming into his room at night, stopping him from sleeping and wanting to play, with the same name...

Spilletta

Visit site
My word, these are all great. Cynical folks could probably explain some away but I would love to see how.

Woolly's experience has reminded me of an episode I went through several years ago, but not as explicit. My husband leaves for work early and I'm normally still in bed when he goes. A few times, about ten minutes after he left, I would hear the front door open and in my hazy still sort of asleep but partly awake state, I'd assume he'd forgotten his lunch and just popped back. Then I'd hear him walking up the stairs. I'd then realise it wouldn't be him as he'd have called out. In a panic, I'd try to shout out but I couldn't. It was quite horrible, really, because I wanted to wake up but couldn't.

I found out later that it's a relatively common thing during periods of stress. I didn't have horses in my life at that point so the stress was obviously down to that (to keep this vaguely horsey, even if not ghosty).

More proper tales, please! Although when reading some of them I have physically gone very cold! But currently have one of my lovely cats curled up on my lap so I should be ok for now as he's a great hot water bottle.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Not horse related but here is my sighting story...

I was aged about 8 i think and had gone on my first residential trip with the Brownies. The place we were staying, from what i can remember, was like a big brick barn sort of building with the dorm bunk beds in one end with a high gable roof. The first night all us youngsters went to bed and all the other girls seemingly went straight to sleep, but as I have ASD (not known at the time) i was incredibly anxious and couldnt sleep.
Lay in my bottom bunk I remember something catching my attention and I saw a lady, dressed in a black victorian maids outfit, complete with the white apron and bonnet. She was half way up the wall, high above the bunk beds, just motionless. Of course I was terrified and burst into tears before running to where the adults were sitting having a chat and promptly throwing up. Didnt see her again during the other few days of our stay and didnt tell the adults thats what i had seen.

I remember it very clearly but i still cant rationalise if it really happened, I have no proof other than my own interpretation of it but that isnt solid enough evidence for me i'm afraid. Perhaps i only remember it how i expect i should remember it, how i think a ghost shoudl have looked. The brain is a very powerful instrument that still behaves in ways we dont quite understand.

As such I always tell people I dont belive in ghosts, despite the fact i have seen one myself.

Last edited:

MrsElle

Visit site
I have related these stories on here before, but some may not have heard them.

A few years ago we moved into an old house that we ran as a bed and breakfast. It started life as a family home, then an old peoples home, then a guest house.

One morning we had guests come down for breakfast and the lady was very quiet and pensive looking. She drew me to one side after breakfast and asked if any previous guests had reported seeing anything strange in the room she and her husband were staying in. I said no, and asked her what she had seen. She said that she woken in the early hours, and while it was very early, it was light. She saw an elderly man sitting in one of the armchairs in the bedroom, with a child on his knee. The man was as clear as could be, wearing a shirt, cardigan, trousers and slippers. The child was indistinct, she knew it was a child, but couldn't really see it. She said she didn't feel frightened, but it un-nerved her somewhat. Several months later, a guest from a different country, indeed, a different continent reported seeing the very same thing.......! After that I used to chat to 'Grandad' whenever I cleaned the room, but never saw anything myself.

Another guest stayed in the room that was above our bedroom. She and her husband checked out, but knocked on the door in the early afternoon of that day. The lady looked rather uncomfortable, but said she had to tell me something. I thought it was a complaint, but she proceeded to tell me that she was in bed the previous night but couldn't sleep so had the lamp on and was reading. She got up to go to the toilet, got back into bed and picked up her book. 'Someone' pulled the duvet off her. She grabbed it and pulled it back towards her, with the other end still being tugged off her. She shouted out 'let it go', and the opposing grip was released. Her husband woke up when she shouted out, but didn't believe her when she told her what happened, he thought she was dreaming. She pointed out she was wide awake and reading, but he still didn't believe her.

Now that room, the room above our bedroom had a vaguely strange feeling about it. It was the only room where we had someone spend a couple of hours in it and check out, saying they didn't like it. It was a lovely room decor wise, but they wouldn't explain why they didn't like it. We heard noises up there too. The first time we had guests in other parts of the house, but not in this particular room, which was down a corridor by itself. OH and i were woken by sounds of furniture being dragged about the wooden floor. We thought some guests had maybe had a drink or two too many and wandered to the wrong room. OH went up, opened the door, but no-one was there. A couple of nights later the same happened, but there were no guests in the house. OH again went up, opened the door, the noise stopped and there was no-one there. This continued for a while until I was sick of getting woken up with all the noise upstairs. One night I shouted out, very loudly, 'will you please just stop it and shut up!' The noise stopped and we never heard it again! I think the fact that is stopped when I asked it to scared me more than the noise - I could imagine the noise was made by rats, creaking floors or something!

While we were in the same house our darling Rhodesian Ridgeback Lola was put to sleep. We buried her in the garden. A couple of days after she died I was cleaning my teeth at the sink and crying for her. I felt a nudge on my leg, just where she used to nudge me. I assumed it was a muscle twitching or something, but then it happened again, this time so hard that it made me take a step forward. Lola always used to nudge me when I was upset, and I felt a great sense of peace, knowing she was still there. Sometime later, perhaps a few days, OH and I heard an almighty crash in kitchen. Lola's bowl was rolling across the floor. Now this could be explained away by saying it had just fallen of the shelf after being stacked precariously, but it was put at the back of a shelf, not stacked on anything and with stacks of crockery in front of it. This bowl had somehow jumped over the crockery without moving a single cup or saucer. While it gave us comfort knowing Lola was there, I felt sad that she felt she couldn't move on, so I went out to her grave and told her that while we loved and missed her, we would be ok, and she could leave us if she wished to do so. We never felt her presence again, which I felt sad about for a long time :(

That last one makes me sound a bit mad, but I don't really care! I can't explain what happened in that house, not sure I even fully believe in ghosts, but strange things happened that can't be explained.

Horses2222

Visit site
Feeling hairs on my arms on these stories! With hubby & kids in bed just lamp on kept just hearing my letterbox go after reading these not wanting to check after 10 mins its annoying me only to check its the cat in the kitchen bin!

Harlequin_

Visit site
I love these, keep them coming!

I have a few paranormal or spooky stories to tell. The first one is about a pony called Willow who taught me to ride as a child. I rode her every weekend without fail and absolutely adored her. One day, mid week sometime, I suddenly burst into tears and felt completely lost and heartbroken. I couldn't explain it but felt empty. When I went to Dad's that weekend, he sat me down and said 'I need to tell you something.. ' and before he could continue I replied 'Willow died, didn't she?' to which he nodded and said 'how did you know?' and all I could say was 'I just knew.' I could never explain that one.

A human experience; I moved house 11 years ago and started seeing a young lady sitting in my bedroom and walking across the landing. She wore a long, Victorian style dress, shoulder-length blonde hair and a really pretty smile. I'd often lay in bed and see her sitting at my desk looking at me and smiling. She didn't bother me, I always found her a comfort. Later, i found her walking across the landing and into the bathroom. I started talking to her whenever she appeared but she didn't reply.
As I got older, she didn't appear as much so I started to question whether she was in my head or not.
A couple of years after my sightings, my brother went downstairs to get a midnight snack. To do this, he had to walk past my room (I always had my door open) and get down the stairs. I woke up the next morning and found my brother and mom talking. They proceeded to tell me that Adam had seen a young lady (matching my description) sat next to my bed watching me and smiling.
And recently, my mom was watching tele in her room when she suddenly shot out and dashed into my room to tell me that the lady had sat on the bed with her - she felt the bed go down and the covers were disturbed - and when mom looked she disappeared. Never did find out who she was...

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Some very interesting stories :)
Just one/two for you.
I had to let my pony go very suddenly so didn't to say bye how I would have wanted. Lost her in the evening. Next morning I was at the yard sorting out my other horse and as clear as day I heard her whinny, I thought I it was just wishful thinking and continued to on my way. She then whinnied again, to which my friend looked at me and said yes I heard her. There wasn't a single horse in at the time and we all know our horses' whinny. I'm sure it was her way of saying goodbye.
2nd story which I don't think it ghost related but freaked me out non the less. Last week I was having a very normal dream (just making sandwiches and speaking the other half!lol!) I turned over and whilst half asleep thought I saw an intruder in my bedroom. Cue me screaming the house down!! The OH tried to calm me down and said that there wasn't anyone there. Whilst I was screaming and crying convinced there was a fully dressed man in front of me, I could see him turn, look at me and laugh. Lights went on and he disappeared. But I could see him clear as day! Funny what your brain can do!!

NZJenny

Visit site
My horses are kept near the coast and one of my favourite rides is along the edge of the lagoon. It was a well known route for Maori who would travel up and down the coast to gather sea food.

Every horse I have ever ridden along that track becomes incredibly spooky on a particular stretch that is about 200 metres long. I have ridden five different horses along that track and spoken to other riders who have all had the same problem - I used to joke about the taniwha in the lagoon. One couple were English and joked about the ghosts sitting on the road markers (which apparently happens in the UK).

However, about three years ago I got talking to one of the old time locals and he told me that there is a Maori burial ground just over the fence from that spot. So ghosts yes, but very New Zealand ones.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Not horsey but.... have just spent 20 mins looking for my car keys (not on the hook I *always* keep it on), including completely emptying my handbag. In the end I stood in the middle of the room and said, loudly, "Please put them back Geoff, I've got to go to Fat Club". Lo and behold, the damn thing turned up on top of my handbag. Couldn't possibly have missed them earlier. This happens a lot and I always have to appeal to Geoff. He was my Husband, and died nearly 5 years ago. He always had a warped sense of humour.

ETA I do find it quite comforting to still have him around - and he actually spoke to me when I was ruminating about buying a horse 3 years ago encouraging me to go ahead. Despite the fact that he was terrified of horses when alive!!

Yes, that's it! I always asked my pest to give whatever was missing back and stop messing me about and I would find them, usually somewhere I had already searched very thoroughly, soon after.

minigammo

Visit site
Back in Jan of this year I was given my beautiful mare by a close friend.. Fast forward to may this year I had a phone call late one the Sunday night from my other friend saying my horse friend had passed away..
a few weeks later I was busy, trying to keep busy at the yard and as I was rushing in and out of the stable I wasn't looking where I was going and thought I almost ran into someone
so I apologised and carried on.
my mare wouldn't settle in her stable so I moved her across the yard, last week I went back to her old stable to collect the last of her things and felt like someone was behind me. I said hi and turned around and no one was there..

When I got home I told my hubby about it... Today he has called me at work to say he was showing a lad he works with pics of the stable and told him my experiences... his colleague asked who the young lady was standing by the stable door...

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Not horsey but another animal coming to say goodbye one.
I lost my three guinea pigs all very suddenly earlier this year in a tragic incident. For weeks afterwards whenever i went into the barn, where i kept them, to see to my rabbits i could hear them squeaking like they also used too. They've stopped now but i was adamant that i could hear them.

Another one was a ghost living in my old boarding school. I didn't board but a few did and reported hearing noises and sometimes seeing her in the oldest part of the school. She got the name of 'the white lady' and was often said to have slammed doors and appeared in mirrors.

Old Bat

Visit site
I've been very polite and got out of the way of a presence which was squeezing past me in a corridor where I was drying my hair, didn't see anyone but felt someone brush past me and the floorboards flex as they would do if someone walked by.

I've also been a guest at a dinner in a cornish farmhouse, spotted a small tabby cat mooching out of the living room, around the table and towards the back of my chair. I turned and bent to stroke it as it went by...no cat. That quietly freaked me, the host asked why I'd gone pale so I told her. She then told us that renting the farmhouse had been her biggest mistake as she had since found that the previous owners had sadly been a murder and suicide case, the husband had also shot the cat before turning the gun on himself. So sad.

I regularly smell fresh poo in an empty stable which is my homebred filly who had to be pts at 5 years old. Its always when the other horses are out in the fields, she was an attention seeking madam and still does this some 10 years on!

All our rescue greyhounds and lurchers have visited after their deaths, usually from about 4 days afterwards. The drift by windows or curl up in front of the fire for a bit. they usually move on after a few weeks but I still see Freddie every so often from 5 years ago. Very comforting!

fatpiggy

Visit site
What I always find very interesting about this and other stories, despite what the nay-sayers and "experts" say, we are just ordinary people with nothing to gain by recounting our experiences, in fact we generally just get laughed at and insulted. We can't all be hallucinating, fantasists, attention-seekers, liars, plain stupid.

Annagain

Visit site
Another one was a ghost living in my old boarding school. I didn't board but a few did and reported hearing noises and sometimes seeing her in the oldest part of the school. She got the name of 'the white lady' and was often said to have slammed doors and appeared in mirrors.

Isn't that just a typical boarding school myth aimed at scaring the new kids? I didn't go to boarding school, but the "black nun" is infamous (even to this day, I'm told) at the school camp I went to as a child. The sister camp was apparently haunted by the "drunk monk". I thought it was very convenient there was a nun in one and a monk in the other!

Elbie

Visit site
I tried to take the Great Dane with me, but he wouldn't budge, so instead I held the Yorkie out in front of me and open the lounge door...to find nothing there.

This just nearly made me choke on my pineapple! TBH I probably would do the same thing but it made me chuckle thinking of someone brandashing a yorkie as a weapon! ATTACK!

aintgotnohay

Visit site
there was an old stableblock in shenstone,nr lichfield on court drive.it has since been converted to houses.there was an old farmworker in a smock who wondered around there.id seen him on many occassions.i did actually rip my coat first time i saw him by going through a barbed wire fence.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I really envy you lucky people who have had glimpses of your loved and lost animals. Today is the third anniversary of the death of my beautiful old mare but I have never had so much as a sign, and we were so close. The day after she had gone I went for a walk down a local canal towpath. I was crying and hoping beyond hope that I would glimpse her out of the corner of my eye, and I called and called to her, but nothing...

Optimissteeq

Visit site
This just nearly made me choke on my pineapple! TBH I probably would do the same thing but it made me chuckle thinking of someone brandashing a yorkie as a weapon! ATTACK!

I was pooping my pants to be honest but IIRC the Yorkie was braver than the Great Dane, so much so that I think your pineapple may have been of more use than the GD ;)

lrw0250

Visit site
I told the one about the ghost pulling my hair on the other spooky tales thread but just remembered another one.

When we were younger my sister and I would be sent to our grandparents spooky old house for babysitting if my parents had a night out. We used to sleep in a little room at the back of the house that had been my mums when she was growing up. On a number of occasions one of us had bad dreams about a tall man in old fashioned clothes including top hat who would walk out of the the wardrobe i.e through the closed door. We were always told we were just imagining it or dreaming or making it up to scare the other one.

I brought it up one day as a teenager when my gran died and mentioned our funny games scaring each other with the spooky man. At which point my mum admitted that she has seen him as a kid too and just didn't say anything when we were small so it wouldn't scare us....

aintgotnohay

Visit site
dog related.old scottish terrier pts in 2013.a 5 ft flourescent light fell out of holder and smashed to floor,my other dogs howling at night,westie who he was close to staring at spots where he used to sit,one poodle in labour once dug and dug on his spot behind the sofa,bad breath smells and frequent noises of a dog like him running up stairs.bought a new scottie on 6th of september this year something made me look at old boys vac.card and it was 6th september 2001 i got him! new scotty jumps on sofa and sits exactly how old one sits.the howling started up again.had pet pyshic here.she told me he still here in spirit wont move over as his time was not yet up and to get rid of presnt boyfriend cos hed hurt me.he did aswell.we know old dog still here....

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Its not horsey but when my little dog died, my flatmate and I would see her in our flat, in the mirrors waiting for us. In broad daylight. RIP Jazz..

I was brought up in a big Tudor house so plenty of history. We did have a real issue with a woman walking into peoples bedroom and waking them up, always happened to the au pairs! my mother would get the blame but then it would happen when she wasn't there..

and had a conversation, again in broad daylight, in offices above Leicester square. Lady who ran the agency was a spiritualist. She told us about our guardians. Nothing resonated till we went home and checked with our families. Mine was a man, with an erect bearing, possibility ex military, wearing a 3 piece brown suit and constantly checking a pocket watch.

My grandfather was a professional soldier, ending up as an acting Brigadier in WW2. He died before I was born and was buried in a 3 piece brown suit. The checking of the pocket watch was a special habit of his and my aunt had that watch. I had no idea about this as the only photos were those showing him in as young man in his uniform...

This for some reason reminded me of someone who told me that we have guardians... I'm slightly purturbed!

tallyho!

Visit site
This isn't about horses, it's about the land and the belief in this country about the dangers of upsetting fairy forts. These are circular formations dotted across the land, often bordered by thick hedgerows and trees. There's a big fear that any disrespect shown, or interference with, will bring severe bad luck or often death.

About 20 years ago a crew constructing a motorway in Clare were tasked with clearing a fort to make way for the road. Nobody wanted to do it and finally the two newest men were pressurised on pain of losing their jobs. They cleared the fort and that weekend both were killed in separate and inexplicable car accidents. A property developer in Kerry who knocked a fort had his newborn baby and young child die in seperate freak accidents the following week. There are many similar stories.

I have heard stories from farmers about those who tried to clear a fort, changing their minds. Commonly a fort is approached by a digger but as it draws near it cuts out for no reason and that's enough to make them revise their plans.

In 1999 the building of a major motorway from Limerick to Galway was delayed when locals protested that a very important fairy tree might be compromised by the project. The hawthorne at Latoon was reputed to be the meeting place for the fairies of Munster, where they met before travelling on to do battle with the fairies of Connaught. A local folklorist put in an objection to the council and said: "They would be vexed by the removal of their bush and when they are vexed they have no mercy."

Here is the bush today surrounded by a protective barrier:http://www.irelandinpicture.net/2010/04/fairy-tree-that-delayed-motorway-ennis.html

This reminds me about folklore in Penang that came true... oh how gruesome and very scary!!!

tallyho!

Visit site
Great thread!

The other 'spooky' thing that has happened to me is that I've felt the presence of my old mare a couple of times. She was PTS about 4 years ago, and whenever I get down to 2 horses (my lovely shire died 6 months after she did) another elderly horse always turns up in desperate need of a home. I feel sure she's sending them to me. That sounds ridiculous even to my own ears, but I never feel the presence of any of the other animals I've lost. I'm always a bit sceptical when people claim such things, but I do feel that she is sending horses my way!

This has just struck a chord...