Spooky September

ThreeWBs

Visit site
For the last two years, towards mid/late September, my usually mellow WB becomes a bit of a spooky wuss. He's still turned out 24/7, but will often have his eyes out on stalks looking at invisible monsters in the bushes. I've put him on various gut balancers, but it seems to be more psychological!

Does anyone else suffer with September spooks?!

Widgeon

Visit site
I think there's something - I reckon maybe grass changing somehow, or the coat change affecting them - because my safe as houses cob has become a bit goggly as well over the last week or two. Nothing bad, he just feels a bit less relaxed and I got a teeth rattling daft spook last weekend for really no reason (actually there were white stones on the ground so he wouldn't agree with me there)

TPO

Visit site
Grass changing/stressed grass is often low in magnesium. Magnesium deficiency affects the nervous system ergo "spooky" horses.

A lot of "calmers" are magnesium based. Cheapest option is £8 for a 2kg (iirc) bag of magnesium from Intrasite

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It's probably the increased sugar and/or potassium in the grass - the 'Autumn Flush' that as a native pony and metabolically challenged owner.

I've upped his magnesium oxide supplement to help counter the effects.

Reactions: TPO

MinKo

Visit site
This time of year turns my old boy into a right misery. Every year without fail for the last 16 years he gets narky in the last week in Sept until mid Oct

ThreeWBs

Visit site
Grass changing/stressed grass is often low in magnesium. Magnesium deficiency affects the nervous system ergo "spooky" horses.

A lot of "calmers" are magnesium based. Cheapest option is £8 for a 2kg (iirc) bag of magnesium from Intrasite

He gets 2 heaped teaspoons of magnesium a day - maybe I need to up it?

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Must be something in the grass because my usually chilled, safe as houses pony has turned into a jig-joggy douche bag these last few weeks ??

TPO

Visit site
He gets 2 heaped teaspoons of magnesium a day - maybe I need to up it?

I would have thought that was enough. Trying to remember the feeding directions on the packet I think it's 2g per 100kg bodyweight.

Thats mag ox heavy, I don't know if the light is a lower spec and maybe more needs to be fed?

J&S

Visit site
I just feed 1 tsp for a 400kg pony. Works well. She can spook for England and do a very speedy 180 degree turn without it.

Ratface

Visit site
I love that his (nick)name is ratface! ?
If you saw his rapidly-changing facial expressions (all food related) you'd know why!
RF is on hours of excellent turnout, has ad lib fibre (home-produced hay and lovely straw bedding) and has a balanced fibre bucket feed morning and evening.
He's weightaped every week and is on a effective worming programme.
His next go-to is peremptory raps on the stable door. This never gets the desired result. He learnt that one at our previous yard. He had the kind yard owner trained to leap out of his bed and rush out to give HRH Ratface his breakfast. Neither ever complained. Even though the orders began at 0430hrs. They were backed-up by the collie watchdogs. I'm sure RF made it worth their effort.
Before I bought RF, he was somewhat ignored by his owners. I think he's making up for that now.
Because he's worth it, in spades.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Yep I have this problem every year at this time, turns into a complete idiot.. I think it’s to do with weather and coat change. This year I’m holding off rugging him so he actually uses some energy…