Sporadic head shaking

Dr_Horse

Visit site
So about 6 weeks ago I went up the yard, took my boy for a lunge and as we came out of the lunge pen he started with this crazy uncontrollable headshaking, there was thunder and lightening above us so I put it down to that! When we got into the internal stables he was fine.. ..next day absolutely fine. Less than a week later I went to fetch my boy in. He wouldn't lift his head when I called and when I got along side him in the field I saw he was waving his head around frantically about 6 inches from the floor. Managed to get a headcollar on him and lead him in. He was besides himself. Again. Until we got into our internal stables....again absolutely fine next day. Nothing from then to now....
This morning I have gone to turn him out and as soon as we have left the internal stables to head for the stable he started this head shaking again. This time nowhere near as bad but for a horse who is not a head shaker I notice it.

The only link so far is my sharer having ridden within the 24 hour prior. But obviously there is plenty of time between these episodes where my sharer has ridden and he hasn't been tossing his head 🤔

YM turns out all the horses every morning she has said she has never noticed it. It's not something you wouldn't notice....

He is 6 a green 6. He is just starting to work in a contact.
If it was consistent I obviously would have called a vet/had physio and had dentist but it's not consistent.

He had his teeth done in March. Told 12 months for check up

Had his saddle done last weekend

Physio last saw him in May

Ideas.....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would certainly ask for vet support but if he is fine inside, it sounds like a reaction to light/ something environmental outside, may be a mould. I would be thinking about investigating along those lines.