Sport Boots - opinions please

vicm2509

Visit site
Since my boy got his first splint I am looking for some good all round boots for him to wear each time I ride him that will be ok for schooling, hacking and jumping at home and just offer a little support and protection. I currently ride him in shires brushing boots (the ones where the stike pad goes most of the way round) but they dont look very comfy and look like they just protect rather than support aswell.

I also have the clarendon hunter boots but I dont really want to be riding through the mud in those throughout the winter.

So I was looking at the sports boots on premier equine site, they are only £18.99 a pair and sound ideal. Has anyone got any of these? And do you think they are suitable for what I want them for? They are the second ones down on the link below.

http://www.premierequineinternational.com/acatalog/horse-boots.html

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I used Sports Medicine Boots on Amymay - front's only as she didn't like wearing them behind. I bought these because like you I wanted more support.

However, not sure they would help with splints per se.

They were around £60 a pair.

miller

Visit site
Not had the PE ones but any other make makes my lad sweat like hell (sweats alot anyway) and his legs get scurfy - other BB's don't do this.

IMHO (and my vets) no boot/bandage will create support with the weight of a horse behind it.

Personally if it's a splint I would just put on boots to protect it from knocks - once they've got to visible stange and finished forming they rarely cause further problems unless knocked hard

debbielinder

Visit site
i have tendon boots on ebonys front as she damaged her superficial flexor about 4 yrs ago she has the professionals choice sports medicine boots on her hind due to another injury (accident prone horse) my vet recomended these so the insurance payed! my vet is really good with things like that would never have thought they would pay out for something like that

vicm2509

Visit site
His splint if fully formed I just wanted something to try and prevent him getting any more and prevent him knocking it. He is quite a sweaty horse aswell although ive never seen him sweat under his boots, i presume if they do cause this much heat then they could do more harm than good?

Also I want to get him some new boots anyway as I hate the ones I have at the moment. Maybe I will just get a new set of the clarendon ones and use the old ones for every day purposes.

Salcey

Visit site
I always used to use sports boots until I was told they can easily overheat the tendon and maybe do more damage than good. I'd just make sure you get the most breathable sort possible to help your horse

ss1

Visit site
I have tried these but didn't like them so I sent them back. They didn't seem to fit very well and were quite cumbersome.

I have also tried the Equine International air cooled competition boot but wasn't impressed with these either as the vents don't match up and the straps are really long. Didn't fit my TB's legs very well at all and tend to rub. I have gone back to using my double velcro WW boots.