Sports medicine boots

mustardsmum

Visit site
Hi all, Have been advised by vet to ride our mare in sports medicine boots when we start working her in her check lig injury rehab. I am wondering what make people would recommend? Daughter wants LeMeuix (obviously...) but in terms of correct support I am not sure! Years ago, I used Professionals Choice which were brilliant - are these still the preferred option or are the LeMeuix/Premier equine as good? Or are they other makes that are better! I am aware of the issues of tendons overheating etc, so want the most breathable/supportive mix!

Many thanks!
:)

mustardsmum

Visit site
Thanks for you reply Auslander, I am a bit confused, the Professional Choice say they offer support? There must be some support, in the same way my daughter wore an ankle support after a sports injury? I would agree that tendon boots/brushing etc only offer protection but my understanding is the sports medicine boot wraps under the fetlock in a similar way to bandaging for support post injury or treatment, but gives the flexibility to exercise? Happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood!

hattie2525

Visit site
I was also recommended to use sports boots after a check ligament injury. I use the Eskadron ones as they don't have a seam at the edge so don't cause pressure points where they wrap over each other. I also have a great pair of the Woof Wear 'dressage wraps' which have good air flow if you are worried about over heating but I think they only come in white.
Edited to say they do come in black and are a bit of a bargain! https://www.woofwear.com/disciplines/dressage-schooling/dressage-wrap_s.html

mustardsmum

Visit site
Thanks Hattie, will take a look at them! Good to hear someone else was also advised to use them, I am not usually keen on boots but accept there are times they have their use. :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
I have premier equine ones which last and wash well, they are often reduced in the sales or the 20% off daily discounts
They are fine on my current lad, but the seams at the edge rubbed a super sensitive mare I had if I didn't put them on very carefully

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks for you reply Auslander, I am a bit confused, the Professional Choice say they offer support? There must be some support, in the same way my daughter wore an ankle support after a sports injury? I would agree that tendon boots/brushing etc only offer protection but my understanding is the sports medicine boot wraps under the fetlock in a similar way to bandaging for support post injury or treatment, but gives the flexibility to exercise? Happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood!

We aren't built the same, horse's leg structure means they don't apart from the new fangled splint/hing one. Pro choice are wrong in claiming that.

TheMule

Visit site
Useful reading
http://davidmarlin.co.uk/portfolio/protective-boots-for-horses-the-pros-and-cons/
The main difference between us supporting a joint and horses having a joint 'supported' is the lack of muscle on the horse's lower limb, but also the system is designed to allow the fetlock to drop towards the floor and preventing that causes massive concussive change to the forces going through the limb, so even if you could support the joint, why would you want to? Especially when you understand the check ligament's job....

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It was suggested I used medicine boots on my horse after a check ligament injury. However I chose not to as the worry of over heating the legs outweighed any possible good they may have done in my mind.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments. TheMule, the article was very interesting re over heating - I knew that boots do make the leg get hot but hadn't realised they could actually result in tendon cells dying - possibly a bit of an issue when you have just had stem or PRP!! But then, on the flip side, I have spoken to people who have also recommended using them, like Hattie2525, and who really think they can support and help.

The plan is to be using them for 45 mins a day when walking her out when we first start riding her. There is no long term plan to ride in them all the time, only use as part of her rehab, although now I am not so sure! Will discuss with vet further. It does raise the issue of why so many people use boots at all if the overheating really is a problem though.