Spotted horses...

ihatework

Visit site
Not a huge fan
IMO they are often bred for colour rather than temprement and conformation

That can be said for some coloureds as well.

vicster

Visit site
I quite like spotted horses i think they look very different
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not a huge fan
IMO they are often bred for colour rather than temprement and conformation

That can be said for some coloureds as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I guess that could apply to the TB breeding industry too. How many TB's were bred from a stallion with no/few conformation faults and a super temp, they are bred purely for speed, you can't even say they are bred for soundness anymore, I hear what you're saying though!
smile.gif

Puppy

Visit site
I'm not keen on them at all. (
blush.gif
sorry) Only known one I really liked. However, I loved nicely marked coloureds.

*runs out before all the spotted owners chase me with big sticks*

pipharrison

Visit site
Well I must say I really like them and have one, They are full of character and are totally stunning.

Here is a piccie of him.

Congresbury2006006.jpg

31122005007.jpg

Now say you don't like them.

ihatework

Visit site
Very true SM, I agree completely about the TB's. However the industry wants fast horses so that is what the intention of breeding them is for.

I suppose if colour was of primary importance to you then you would go out specifically to by a spotty, however for me temprement followed by conformation and ability are the key deciders when buying a sportshorse. From my limited experience with spotties they don't fall into this catagory although I am sure there are exceptions to the rule.

severnmiles

Visit site
What would you(anyone reading this) class Peaceful Warrior and Loubar Showman as? They aren't quite proper Skewbalds are they.....
confused.gif

Bex7

Visit site
Although my boy is spotted they are not normally a horse I go for.

Bert however isn't the typical spotted type as his Dam was a Shire and his Sire was an Appoloosa, hence I have one big spotted chunky Monkey!
Not his (or my) best piccy but the spots aren't visable in many as they are on his Butt!

PICT0070.jpg

PICT0111.jpg

dieseldog

Visit site
We got one called SPOT!

He is a bit of a freak though. 15.3 and very naturally skinny, quite unothrodox in the way he jumps but... we bought him 2 years ago as an unbroken 5 year old to go hacking on. He's won £700 BSJA will jump Double Clear round a Fox, came 3rd and 4th in the BN and Discovery 2nd rounds. He's also got 2 BE points, only horse in his section to go DC at Stockland Lovell.

I do agree with what you say about them being bred for colour and they do all tend to be a bit spoilt as they are more pets than horses. If Spot was bay we would never have bought himas his confirmation is shocking

Salperton06013.jpg

thm_749-878.jpg

Puppy

Visit site
Look, its just my opinion, and not personal, so please don't take it as such.

My friend has one very similar to yours which he's most proud off and would openly say he'd pick over my warmblood any day, they just aren't my cup of tea.

I'm sure you'd think all mine terribly plain, as my last three horses have all been bays with stars (used to confuse the hell out of my non-horsey ex trying to tell them apart when all turned out together
grin.gif
)

Hell, if we all liked/dislike the same the horse market would be a right mess and the world a dull place!

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn't buy anything that was bred to be a certain colour. I don't like couloreds generally, although I had a gorgeous appaloosa years ago. He was, though, the most cussed bl**dy minded creature ever born. Everyone loved him to look at, mind!!

Woman next door has got a spotty stallion that keeps getting out and visiting, so who knows what I may get next spring! Mind, hes about 11hh so may need to bring a ladder!!
laugh.gif

Sooty

Visit site
Absolutely love spotties! We used to have a British Spotted Pony called Greg. He was a safe conveyance in a grumpy, kids' pony type of way. He went with our horse when we sold him, the lovely people who bought him took Greg as his companion. He is ancient now, but still getting into trouble. Last thing I heard, he had eaten a newly planted hedge after escaping...

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
freckles.jpg

This is my old boy, Freckles. We had him since I was 11 years old (my first pony) and he was pts on 11th April 2004 after he broke his leg in a stable. He was 37 years old.

RunToEarth

Visit site
They all look amazing. I have never really thought about spotted. I suppose my slant on it is that if it does the job that you want it to do, why not?
I was never really keen on coloureds, our yard had always stuck to solid colours, and look how well I get on with Oshk. DD has proved the spotted jumps, so what is a colour?

severnmiles

Visit site
Yea, I like your slant on things Rosiie...its onlycolour after all the main thing is that it does the job! I've seen a nice spotted that I might be breaking in, then saw Matthew Wrights Well Spotted, though I suppose you might call that more of a flea bitten grey??? They've never really appealed before but I think they are quite nice.

Can you imagine one in the hunting field.... you'd be easy to spot (no pun intended
smirk.gif
).

izzyxxx

Visit site
i have a spotty wanted a traditional coloured cob and ended up with a spotty she has the most wonderful temperment and draws attention where ever we go (children follow us down the street shouting dalmation pony and she loves the attention!!!) i am going to breed her next year but i would never go back as it is i am looking for another horse and yes it will have to be an appaloosa as they are a great breed and are great for endurance! well thats just my opinion

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can you imagine one in the hunting field.... you'd be easy to spot (no pun intended ).

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, its great being on something abit out of the norm, I am (on most days) the only coloured in the field. We are a grey and bay hunt, so I can always stick out!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Its all down to individual taste isn't it. I totally love my Appy and think that she is absolutley beautiful but others don't like spottys. I'm not offended if people don't like her, I do and that what matters
grin.gif

IMG_2959-1.jpg

01-08-06_0726.jpg

Cropi1.jpg

dieseldog

Visit site
Here are some more pics of some spotties we've owned

This was our stallion - Negative Nugget, by Move over Nugget, he was called 'Negative' by his breeder as the mare was not scanned in foal
05September20062.jpg

This was a foal we bred by Nugget out of a spotty mare - unluckily for the foal she was born at the height of the Spice Girls fame and they called her Ginger Spice
05September20063.jpg

The Chestnut is a fully registered Appaloosa we bred by Ulrich Buckaroo out of a P2P mare (Camden Town/Crepello (sp)) They called her 'Love to Buck' poor thing. Anyway we put her in foal to a few spot, the vet said you would have to be a fool to think she was in foal, so she was sold as barren and that popped out
05September2006.jpg

And her is Super spot again - otherwise known as Clearwater Sunbee
downlands013.jpg

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I have a worse than spotty horse, she's not a splodgey horse, as she's not skewbald, and she's not a spotty horse, as in appy... she's a splotty horse...

And she's all mine, and very special.

The girly that sometimes borrows Laddie's stable is a gorgeous appy baby called Maxine, I love her, she's lovely, and Dorey loves her too
smile.gif

And anything Dorey loves is a good horse
smile.gif