Spotted Shetland? Showing?

Elsiecat

Visit site
Basically my mum has fallen in love with a spotted little RSCPA pony that she has seen at an RSCPA centre. He's not yet online. To me he is a shetland.
She wants a little pony that she can show, but when I looked on the Shetland breed standard it says

"Colour

Shetland ponies may be any colour known in horses except spotted."

So does this mean he isn't a shetland? Or that he is a shetland and she just can't show him? Even at local level?

Might sound silly but I'm confused. Very confused. :rolleyes:

NeverSayNever

Visit site
shetland pony stud book society - if she is registered then she will be a pure shetland but it’s not likely if she is spotted tbh. More likely they have just used ‘shetland’ as a generic term? If thats the case there is still nothing to stop her showing in unreg classes locally.

Elsiecat

Visit site
shetland pony stud book society - if she is registered then she will be a pure shetland but it’s not likely if she is spotted tbh. More likely they have just used ‘shetland’ as a generic term? If thats the case there is still nothing to stop her showing in unreg classes locally.

He hasn't been advertised as anything, I've just labelled him a shetland as thats what I thought he was!
Will ask later about his passport. But either way he can still be shown locally? If so what would he be able to be shown as?

NeverSayNever

Visit site
He hasn't been advertised as anything, I've just labelled him a shetland as thats what I thought he was!
Will ask later about his passport. But either way he can still be shown locally? If so what would he be able to be shown as?

ah right. well not in M&M / Shetland classes and Im afraid my knowledge runs out about there but hopefully someone else can help.. coloured classes maybe? Or lead rein if you have a small person?

Elsiecat

Visit site
ah right. well not in M&M / Shetland classes and Im afraid my knowledge runs out about there but hopefully someone else can help.. coloured classes maybe? Or lead rein if you have a small person?

Ah.. As I'm simply pressuming he's a shetland, is there anything else that he could be instead? Thanks for your help :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
Could he be a British Spotted Pony? http://www.britishspottedponysociety.co.uk/

If the pony is Shetland like in build, then he is probably a Shetland cross. Miniature horses do have the LP complex (spotty gene) too, so that's another possibility for a cross with a Shetland.

I've just looked on google images and he doesn't look all that different to some of those.
It's hard to tell what he is really as he is a fluffy little scruffy mess right now.
If he is a British Spotted Pony would he be passported with them?
Also if he is a shetland cross BSP or Shetland cross miniature - could he be shown? And what as?

He's a lovely cheeky little beggar so I hope he will have some showing usage!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Ah! So if he's a partbred shetland we can show him. Or if he's a British Spotted Pony we can. But if he's a straight up Shetland, then we can't? Am I following? :)

if he is spotted, he wont be a registered shetland ;) unless he is actually roan or something masquerading as spotted.

you need to find out what his passport is and take it from there :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
if he is spotted, he wont be a registered shetland ;) unless he is actually roan or something masquerading as spotted.

you need to find out what his passport is and take it from there :)

I'm useless, aren't I!?
Ah good point, he could be roan.. Another thing I am hopeless with is colours.. Make it any more complicated than Bay, Grey & Chestnut, and I'm stuffed!

Visit site
Pure bred registered shetlands can not be spotted under any circumstances. They can not be shown in shetland or M&M classes.

They can do spotted classes and depending on the rules coloured classes.

Equi

Visit site
What height is he? If under 38" you could show in miniature horse classes, which allow spotted and have colour classes. No registry is needed in many cases.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Thanks for the help guys.
I'm waiting to find out about his passport.
Would I be able to inbox any of you a picture to see what you think?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I used to have a spotty part bred Shetland, I showed him in spotty classes and he did alright.
Novelty classes would be good or lead rein classes.
Would love to see a picture of the pony :)

my boy.....
IMG_8937.jpg~320x480

Aw, look at that spotty little rump! *swoons*

millikins

Visit site
If she's fallen in love then she should get him. Could probably only do unaffiliated "odd coloured" but there's loads of other things she could do with a small pony: Driving, in hand TREC, Agility.