Sprenger bow balance stirrups: cheaper version review

Frostini

New User
Visit site
Hi

I just thought it would be useful to give my feedback on those cheap stirrups that look exactly like Sprenger flexi.

They are quite heavy and they do not flex very much at all. I tried them both and the difference is massive. Hence if you are looking to make a difference to joints support and release of the foot in case of a fall, the cheap versions is not worth it.

When pushing the heel down, the stirrup flexes down a bit. However I do not feel much difference in comparison to normal irons.

I hope it helps those riders like myself looking for a bargain. Bargain is not always the answer sadly

sarahann1

Visit site
I love my Sprengers, I've done more riding this weekend than I normally do in a week, including riding much shorter than normal for jumping and XC training, no knee pains or joint pains anywhere, and I felt secure the whole time :)

I thought about getting a cheaper version and I'm so glad I didn't.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The JW air ones are similar and a bit cheaper. I've had a pair of each for a couple of years and the only noticeable difference is the tread is narrower on the sprengers.

I would say with sprengers you don't really feel it when you are riding, you feel it when you come off and haven't been using them!

Shay

Visit site
I've seen the cheaper versions break at PC camp, PC rallies and competitions. I have yet to see a sprenger break. Thats not to say they don't - I've just never seen it. But I see at least one or two chain type alternatives break during each PC year. Often you get what you pay for in terms of quality and durability. Although I accept not always!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
this is what the amidale ones look like underneath are those the ones you have OP? Poss not as these do flex a fair bit.

11083653_10155547341085438_1378178467610055582_n.jpg

Trishh

Visit site
I have a lovely pair of Sprenger system 4 stirrups for sale if anybody wants them?! Still with original box, £50 ono

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I have some Shires bendy ones I bought probably about 8 years ago. They are still going strong and get used nearly every day. I love them and much prefer them to just standard non-bendy stirrups. I ride some horses for other people that have Sprenger stirrups, personally I don''t see a lot of difference between these and my cheaper ones, I certainly would never spend so much money on stirrups. I don't have knee or ankle problems though so maybe I would think differently if I did.

rachk89

Visit site
I dunno I quite like my cheap bendy stirrups. They weren't a branded version though as far as I am aware and cost £12 so i dunno who made them. Doing well so far nothing broken. Suppose I may get better quality with the sprengers but I don't have the money for them. They really help with my ankles and knees though don't get pains anymore. These ones face forward too so it's easier for me to get my foot in them. Ever since I broke my knee my leg won't bend inwards properly anymore so could never find a stirrup that was flat against the horse.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I worked on the basis of how many hours I spend in them when deciding whether to spend the money
those amidale ones weren't that cheap (about £35 iirc) and I got them to see if the concept did help, but having pushed the rubber up knew I didn't fancy trusting them on a day's hunting!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Might be quite interesting if H&H did a test on a few of these alternatives, sending them off to a proper testing lab to be stripped down and the quality assessed.....