Spring grass already?

MissJessica

Visit site
My Connemara has gone crazy. Every so often this happens & I hate it, he goes from being perfect to almost dangerous. Leaping, spooking, unable to concentrate, almost as if he is looking for things to spook at. Even piles of hay! Seriously?

Could it be he is super sensitive to the change in spring grass? We do have very short, very green shoots coming through in a very big field.

Anyone else experience crazy behavioural changes at different times of year?

Boulty

Visit site
My Welsh D is even more manic than usual. We currently MUST canter on the spot on every bit of grass and shoot off in flat out gallop when canter is allowed... Spooking at random objects is probably at its normal level (he spooks at horses in fields and the like anyway) for the moment. His current nickname is Skippy the Kangaroo! Anyhow he is also super sensitive to grass sugars so I think it probably is down to grass starting to sprout a bit... god knows what I'll have on my hands when actual grass makes an appearance

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My 22yo is certainly feeling fresh. He was a complete **** when we went out Saturday, bouncing like sodding tigger. I suppose at his age I should be grateful that he is capable of behaving so but when I'm leading eldest son on his pony it's not appreciated! I'm taking him out alone today!!!!

AmieeT

Visit site
Definitely! Didnt realise how much we had, our field drops over the brow of a hill so can't see it all from the gate. Walked down a week or so ago and was quick shocked!

Red certainly has it about him at the moment!

Boulty, my Welshie is spooking at horses in field atm too! Bloody fell off and twisted my ankle because of it a few weeks back!

Ax

Supertrooper

Visit site
Yep mine has been a bit crazy the last few days although it has been windy. I think the grass is starting to come through but he's eating the new shoots quickly.

I've started cutting his hay down now xx

Fransurrey

Visit site
Remember that the green shoots you're seeing are the leftovers that he hasn't been able to fit in! I've had a restriction paddock set up since Feb and it's frightening how quickly a line has appeared along the fence!

tatty_v

Visit site
My usually well behaved little Connie is being a right toad at the moment too! Judging by his droppings I'd say the spring grass is here...

BBP

Visit site
Mine has gone other way, usually bat crap crazy but currently on walking rehab work and being a total angel!

rascal

Visit site
You can see in the part of the field the horses are not in that the grass is starting to grow. Time to put the two little ponies in the small paddock soon, before they smell grass and put on weight!

JLD

Visit site
My old boy went loopy in hand and ridden for a week or so every time the clocks changed spring and autumn. Never really got to the bottom of it but had him 7 years and we got it twice yearly without fail.

MissJessica

Visit site
That's interesting JLD. People keep commenting, surely grass can't have that much of an effect on him but nothing else has changed. So I can't see what else it would be?
He wasn't like this last spring. But was the April before, so 2013. And he last had a bout of similar behaviour at the end of summer which would agree with your comments.
Possibly I'll go through the same, can't wait to get my horse back. Scared to hack out at the moment because he is dangerous and we have to go on the road & we love to hack. It's one of our favourite things. X