Spring grass and colic warning

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Senior PPID mare, 19 yo, is under the weather today. Was dull, inappetent, shivering. Normal temp and resps, cold feet, no pulses.

Phoned vet, he says that there have been a lot of similar cases in the last few days, and they’ve been mild colic associated with the change in grass growth. In normal times I‘d have had a call out straight away, but at his suggestion I’ve syringed 2 Danilon sachet worth’s into her and am lunging her every hour, and monitoring carefully. He’ll come out if she doen’t pick up soon, but all his other cases have recovered ok. She’s been on a DNR for the last 18 months, but has been really well since she was put on it!

Be careful, folks. All mine are on bare winter grazing, I never turn them out on ‘rested’ grass.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It is such a worry at this time of year. Mine is on arena turnout all winter. 2 weeks ago I started to hand graze for half an hour a day. Then she has started turnout, starting with 40 minutes. We have worked up to 1 1/2 hours twice a day and still I am on edge.

That is real bad luck if she is still on the winter turnout. Fingers crossed she recovers soon.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Senior PPID mare, 19 yo, is under the weather today. Was dull, inappetent, shivering. Normal temp and resps, cold feet, no pulses.

Phoned vet, he says that there have been a lot of similar cases in the last few days, and they’ve been mild colic associated with the change in grass growth. In normal times I‘d have had a call out straight away, but at his suggestion I’ve syringed 2 Danilon sachet worth’s into her and am lunging her every hour, and monitoring carefully. He’ll come out if she doen’t pick up soon, but all his other cases have recovered ok. She’s been on a DNR for the last 18 months, but has been really well since she was put on it!

Be careful, folks. All mine are on bare winter grazing, I never turn them out on ‘rested’ grass.
After using this on livery horses with Colic and my own horses many times, I would never be without this, is it breaks down the gas, also lubricates to help things in transit.

https://pro-equine.com/products/colikare

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I am looking after a 19yr old brood mare who has suddenly dropped weight and started leaving her feed. Left her hay too today but in her case I suspect she has come in season as she is standing at the fence looking dreamily at the two pones next door. Really hope this is the case and that she is back to normal soon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had a scare yesterday evening, brought the horses in about 7 pm because the wind would have blown away any hay that we put out. They did come in to a bucket feed of Agrobs haycobs and a handful of grassnuts to encourage them to eat the last dose of 5 day wormer. Cob turned up her nose at the bucket and didn't want her hay either, she was happy to take haycobs from my hand.
She eventually farted, then had a big drink of water and stood thinking about it for a while. then she ate her tea with additional grassnuts and then went to her hay. We checked on her several times during the evening and she was fine but, like OP's horse, the only grass she has had has been what has grown on the winter paddock which, in the last few days, hasn't been much. They have been having hay in the field.
Fortunately she has been absolutely fine since then

Surbie

Visit site
All best luck Tiddlypom, hope she perks up and poos soon.

I love strip grazing for avoiding this, but where I am at the moment it isn't usually allowed. :rolleyes: I'm having to gradually increase his turnout hours so he gets used to it slowly. I feel for people who have to switch from winter fields to lush spring ones given the current situation and less access to yards.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, all.

She had a very worrying turn during lunging session no 2, she lost her action and I honestly thought that she was going to die in front of me :(. Then she picked up and was ok to continue, and was fine back in the stable. I monitored her very carefully. Maybe she moved some trapped wind?

She has improved a lot more during and after lunging session no 3, and has now produced a normal albeit small poo, hurray! Is now looking over the stable door rather than huddling at the back.

I’ve owned her for 17 years, and this is only the second colic she’s ever had - the first one was minor and transient, so fingers crossed this is too. Will be checking her constantly and continuing to lunge her every hour for a while longer.

9B4DA85F-5D93-48AE-824A-7CF3523527EE.jpeg

77076066-AD6A-450C-8411-F3C40CF5A52E.jpeg

racebuddy

Visit site
Worrying time xxx mine just recovering from virus xx temperature lucily was fine in himself eating drinking ect. Started with small amount of nasal discharge,. Bloods ran showed viral x vets came and did full check over xxx

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Hope yours is improving OK.

Feeling your pain; it happened to my mare too, early March-time when the grass started going crazy. I'd put her out on a bit of fresh grass and she gobbed it down too quick, then she was in overnight. I'd just come in from an evening out and found her digging a hole in her stable (earth floor) and in obvious signs of distress.

I've had horses ever since I was a kid (older rider now) and thank god have never had to deal with a colic.

Luckily my lovely vet was on-call nearby and came over; I can honestly say I've never been more relieved to see a horse pass a bleddi gurt poo ever....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks all. She’s fine again :). In fact, she was fine last night, so after some battling with myself over whether she was better kept in or out, I put her back out with some hay. I though she’d be better moving around and moving that gut rather than stuck inside.

This pic taken last night shows how little grass she’s on. I was so surprised when the vet said that he’s had so many similar cases recently - we haven’t had much rain so the grass isn’t flushing. Blimmin‘ horses, there’s always something to worry about, just in case we haven’t got enough on our plate atm.

8D6AB415-F4D2-487A-8C96-9090B43D3772.jpeg

ETA I was intending to start doing some in hand work in the arena with her to keep up her fitness and interest. It was going to start with 10 min walk sessions. Yesterday she had several 5 minute sessions of onward bound trot - not ideal for an unfit retired horse, bless her.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So glad she is OK. I wouldn't worry about the trot, it was all jet propelled so won't count ;)

I can't imagine how she gobbled down anything on that field, one of those inexplicable things, I guess.