Spring has sprung springs...

katymay

Visit site
Yes! Hacked out today and he usually is happy to plod along at the back but he strode out in front, when asked to trot up a hill he cantered sideways all the way up, I seem to have lost my breaks and he feels like he wants to explode ��

dizzyneddy

Visit site
The ponies have been bucking & cat leaping quite abit over the last few days with my old mare looking at them in disgust as to what all the fuss is all about. It's nice to see that the poached bit of their summer field has virtually gone with the grass growing it won't be long until it's rolled & fertilised. The only downside to spring & summer is the flies

hibshobby

Visit site
Oh yes, we have gone from a happy to plod and follow to a prancing-posing-bucking-up-in-front-get-on-with-it type of IDxTB. Temperament is awful, coat looks dreadful and really dull. His appetite is all over the shop, but massive improvement in all once the grass comes through. Two/three weeks to go and we're laughing !

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I wish, mine have gone the complete opposite. I mean who wants to work when you can sunbathe instead ? ... I'm feeding them up for some more fizz ! Mine are much more fizzy in the crisp winter air :D

maree t

Visit site
Our TB x was a twit today , so safe normally . Dragged daughter through a tree rather than walk properly . No show tomorrow now little sod .

C1airey

Visit site
Yep our choices are also walk or gallop: nothing in between. And brakes are for quitters.

He was better this morning though after a night in than he has been in the afternoons with a belly full of grass.

peanut

Visit site
Mine was on fire out hacking yesterday. I had to keep my legs away from her sides or she would've gone!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I am pleased to say that my two girls are incredibly chilled and content at the moment. I am enjoying it while it lasts because Spring Fever will certainly hit at some point!

katymay

Visit site
I gave mine the day off today so will let you know tomorrow! Although we will be hacking alone, he will be spookier but not so exciteable ( I hope!)

dizzyneddy

Visit site
I rode my five year old NF this afternoon & it reminded me of my younger days riding a hyper turbo charged TB. l was waiting for her to do a buck or something but she behaved thankfully.

Greylegs

Visit site
Lol ... glad it's not just me!! Yesterday, my normally pretty steady highland was pulling like a steam train, wouldn't walk a step and generally turned into a rocket powered version of his normal self. Phew ... spring has definitely sprung....

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Yup - spent first 10 minutes doing airs above ground. We perfected the canter half-pass.

And shoulder in.

And travers.

I think we might've even got a full side of single tempi changes too.

Not bad for a short fat pony. Just wish he'd do it on command and when I want :D

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Dave declined to be caught on Wednesday, preferring to sport about, doing his best elevated trot, punctuated with bucks & full blown gallops. I gave up & left him to it.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Flicka was keen to canter every time I asked for trot yesterday. I haven't yet dared to get on the old lunatic since I clipped him last week. Not quite got the strength to contain the sOdding idiot!

Darbs

Visit site
Yep, our pony has lost a grip on reality! last Thursday he went absolutely bananas after seeing a playground of schoolchildren (which he has seen many times before, and normally enjoys the fuss from them) and yesterday spent 2 hours trying to load him after a pony club session, normally my 8 year old daughter can load him on a slack lead rein.

This is the first spring that we have owned him, and he is normally as daft as a brush, super calm and a happy soul. It wouldn't be so bad but my daughter spent 2 hours crying in the back of the car because she thinks her fantastic best friend has turned into some evil monster looking for a fight!

[59668]

Visit site
Yep, our pony has lost a grip on reality! last Thursday he went absolutely bananas after seeing a playground of schoolchildren (which he has seen many times before, and normally enjoys the fuss from them) and yesterday spent 2 hours trying to load him after a pony club session, normally my 8 year old daughter can load him on a slack lead rein.

This is the first spring that we have owned him, and he is normally as daft as a brush, super calm and a happy soul. It wouldn't be so bad but my daughter spent 2 hours crying in the back of the car because she thinks her fantastic best friend has turned into some evil monster looking for a fight!

Aw poor little thing. I feel the same about my pony and I'm an adult! Let's hope they all settle soon. It's nice to know I'm not the only one though!

Anyone got any tips/ideas that work for this time of year? Magnesium? A different calmer?

Equine_Dream

Visit site
My 3 usually quiet well mannered horses have turned into bouncy snorty monsters!!
Yesterdays hack had three gears; jog, jog sideways, and mad gallop. Breaks? What are those? :D

KAZJAZ

Visit site
oh yes, not only has spring sprung but she is most definitely in season too and she's not normally a "typical" mare, tbh you would hardly normally notice but for the last 2 weeks she has been absolutely full of herself!! A handful to lead, stroppy, no concentration on working in arena, throwing herself about, and I thought I was going to be launched into orbit the other week, she was an absolute coiled spring, I daren't try jumping for now as she's just far to excitable!!

I took her Sat & Sun to two different forests for long hard hacks with good canters to try and knacker her out... :) I have to say though it is nice to see her feeling so good in herself...

Asha

Visit site
Dave declined to be caught on Wednesday, preferring to sport about, doing his best elevated trot, punctuated with bucks & full blown gallops. I gave up & left him to it.

I am also Daves Mam ( son ) but just love the fact a horse is called Dave. Met a dog called Dave, he was awesome.

Beth206

Visit site
My mare has been a complete loon too - my first spring as a horse mum. Past two weekends hacking have been horrendous as you all say.. walk or gallop and no brakes. She hasnt even been turned out in our second field which has been shut off since November! God help me.

[59668]

Visit site
So glad it's not just me. It's also my first spring as a mare owner...I wonder if she is coming into season even though she doesn't normally act any differently....

Breagha

Visit site
I feel all your pain - my lovely normally excellent cob to hack out is turning 5 this year and spring has def sprung.

Cantering down a sandy track in the woods (done loads), there was a puddle, slowed her down as she normally stops at them so was ready for this to get her to go through it BUT instead Breagha decided it was too scary to canter through and leaped over it, so her in the air, me in the air above her and when she lands, she moves to the right, so when I come down I hit of the side of her and land underneath her - OUCH! (first time falling off her as well).

The worst part was she walked quite the thing just in front us us for a good half mile before getting caught occasionally stopping to look behind until we got too close.

LD&S

Visit site
No where near on the scale mentioned above but my completely unflappable mare did a couple of sideways shuffles today, only the 2nd time I've ridden her as I'm such a wuss but it was fine.