Spring has sprung

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
A coupleof years ago one of our old hens hatched a very late chick. Sadly she died soon afterwards and we found the distressed chick standing on its mum's body cheeping for its life. We managed to get a similar tiny baby, a young bantam cockerel, from a neighbouring farmer and it was love at first sight, the two birds were inseperable. Three years later a fox ran off with the little cockerel. THe hen had obviously tried to save him and had lost several feathers in her struggle. She was shocked and distraught but survived, though rarely ventured from her coop. We decided she needed a companion and purchased a young polish cockerel. She hated the sight of him and tried to kill him
frown.gif
so he was moved to a seperate pen. In the last few weeks she has taken to spending her days sat beside his pen and we decided it was time to reintroduce them. It worked, he has been trotting behind her all day long and last night we found them snuggled up togeether in her coop. Methinks Spring is in the air!!

Witchy

Visit site
Ah what a nice story to start the day
smile.gif

I've got 10 ex-bat hens that have started getting stroppy and beating each other up so yes I think you are right, Spring is definately just round the corner!!

Gillb

www.westgatelabs.co.uk
Lovely!
Foxy got our old cockerel this week. He was about 5 or 6 yrs old, very sweet at looking after odd hens who wouldn't join the flock.
I've got my incubator on test with eggs gathered to set so spring is definitely happening.