Springer spaniel rescue- useless owners

meleeka

Visit site
I'm having that "I have no idea WTF I'm doing" feeling that new animals bring on. ? Crashingly tired humans. Henry has had a poop and a little trot up and down the front part of the croft. He is a confident wee b*ggerlugs.

First impressions for me on breed is possibly Show Cocker cross Springer... don't know, just get that impression.

I think there's going to be a fair bit of quiet crate time for everyone, including humans, today. I don't want to over-crate him, feel bad as I know he got crated a lot in his first home, but equally I'm using it as a tool to keep everything nice and calm for all dogs. We're too tired to deal with spaniel riots. ? I think an easy, controlled, week. With lots of short interactions for Henry pup through the days...

Right. One thing at a time.

I think I will start a little Henry diary thread. It might help keep my head straight!
It’ll all work out in the end I’m sure.
You are absolutely correct. Preventing negative interactions is going to mean taking things slowly. Henry is probably very tired too. There’s really no point in rushing these things so don’t stress about that.

Hope you enjoy a restful day.

Moobli

Visit site
Sounds like a perfect introduction to his new household. Setting things up for success now means far less hassle down the line. I’m sure within a few days it will seem like he’s been there forever.

I wish GSDs were as straightforward. The poor lad I’ve been helping rehome looks like he’s going to bounce back from his second home too ?. It seemed perfect for him as well ?. Gutted!

Anyway a diary for Henry sounds a great idea. I thought he looked show x working spaniel too.

palo1

Visit site
Yes. I think it's fine while we all get used to each other and while we recover from the journey and all that. He's being very good. A little bit vocal, then settles. Will provide Kongs and do little bits with him and just try and do one thing at a time.

It'll be fine :) You will know what is right for your situation - have plenty of faith in yourself and the irrepressible spaniel spirit!! He is gorgeous and reminds me a lot of our childhood springers. You will have such a lovely dog once you have all settled together and no damage will be done by taking it slowly. Henry probably doesn't quite know which way is up right now either so although he might not like it, a bit of crate time will both keep everyone safe and provide him with some space and time to just 'be'. Spaniels can be so blooming busy - they sometimes seem to forget to process stuff and 'think'! :) Lucky doggo.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sounds like a perfect introduction to his new household. Setting things up for success now means far less hassle down the line. I’m sure within a few days it will seem like he’s been there forever.

I wish GSDs were as straightforward. The poor lad I’ve been helping rehome looks like he’s going to bounce back from his second home too ?. It seemed perfect for him as well ?. Gutted!

Anyway a diary for Henry sounds a great idea. I thought he looked show x working spaniel too.

Oh sweetpea. I hope he's okay.