Springy Spangle - lost her spring....

tomtrotters

Visit site
I hope someone can help - god it's been ages since I've posted - but I am desperate and had a sudden flash of AAD Horse and Hound Forum.

I have a nearly 9 year old working springer bitch called Bonnie. Two weekends ago OH and I were pruning in the garden and pulling out shrubs. We pulled out a Berberis, nasty horrible spikey bush with prickles about the 1/2" long, it's a big garden and the girls were off sniffing out rabbits round the pond but Bonnie wanted to know what we were doing and came over to investigate. There was lots of laughing because she'd been in the pond but then shuffling to get her inside and away from the nasty thorns.

The next morning, Sunday - not the previous night - when she got up she was very stiff in her back and legs, but soon loosened up on her walk in the morning, she then had a snooze and was stiff again when she woke up but again loosened up and was quite cheery on her afternoon walk. We of course went over her thoroughly to check there was no berberis prickles in her feet or legs.

Monday morning - woke up even more stiff and a bit mizzog, but went off on her walk quite happy and then to the office as usual, but not hopping out her bed to great everyone as usual. Monday afternoon took her to the vets, bit of a check prescribed anti-inflammatory.

Any way to cut a long story short - we are now 10/11 days later, on Monday we took her back to the vets, because she is getting more and more stiff and generally is quite mizzog, she does loosen up on her walks which are shorter but more frequent - quick round the block every hour today (10 - 15 mins). She did have a temperature on Monday, but blood and urine have come back as normal, checked her hips etc and everything ok. Prescribed anti-biotics and a joint supplement - mentioning arthritis. She is drinking and eating normally and pooing and weeing as usual. But this morning she really struggled to get down the 3 steps from our back doorstep. Everyone who comes into our office knows Bonnie, all the drivers and the postman and she is not interested in getting out her bed to see anyone, even her favorites.

I am loathe to go back to the vets just yet, "neurotic" springs to mind. But I am totally baffled - could "arthritis" have come on this quickly? And has anyone got any ideas? Please ask any questions. She is slightly "thicker" round the middle than her daughter, who just goes like the clappers all day and the vet said on Monday that she could do with loosing 1-2kgs.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

TT

spottyUnicorn

Visit site
Have they tested for tetanus? I know its pretty rare in dogs, but being spiked by long prickly thorns sounds like a classic way to pick up tetanus if you are a human or horse. I was having a conversation about it with my vet a few weeks ago as they had had a case that week. She said depending on where the infection enters the body it can some times take a while for obvious symptoms to present, and that the dog can just seem a bit stiff/not right.

Sprig

Visit site
I wonder if the Berberis is a red herring? OUr dog suffered flare ups arthritis and they did come on very suddenly sometimes. It is entirely possible that is what it is from your description. I am not sure how useful a joint supplement is if she is already sore. Can the vet give you seom stronger anti-infammatories to try her on? Hope she si back to her normal self soon.