Spurs help !!

horse.love92

Visit site
I need some spurs for when I'm doing jumping . My horse is not slow but he does get a bit on the forehand and if I try to gather him up he needs a bit more than leg to push him on . I don't want anything severe but are the spurs with little rubber ball ends on any good ?

kc100

Visit site
I think these types of spurs are popular so they cant be that bad - however my instructor put me right off them because she told me she had a pair, and they were great until the ball fell out when she was riding and she didnt notice until she got off, by which time she had put a nasty scrape on her horses side because there were 2 sharp pieces of metal left without the ball to soften it!

So when I was buying my first pair of spurs I stayed away from any ball type spurs and went for the shortest pair I could find - prince of wales spurs are kinder to the horse as they slope downwards so dont stick straight into the horses side. Mine are tiny tiny prince of wales spurs (about 14mm) - these are the ones I bought:

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/Equestr...+Spurs/Horze+Flat+End+Neck+Spurs_303-0022.htm

Talk to your instructor if you are unsure, but generally the shorter the length of the end on the spur the kinder they are.

horse.love92

Visit site
Can I have a bit more info on the comb ones please ? I like the look of the roller ball ones . Just want something really kind but just to give a little more impulsion