Spurs - who does and who don't?

Handsomest gelding

• Total voters

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
A friend expressed surprise when I mentioned I occasionally ride in spurs ( the round ball blunt ones of course).

Who rides in spurs and why, and if not please give your opinions.

I have always used spurs at some times with my horses, I just think its perfectly acceptable way to ask a horse to respond to my aids and is therefore more effective and less miserable for the horse and rider than to be constantly kicking at their sides - I get the feeling some people don't think it is.

Grateful for your views generally on this subject, thanks
smile.gif

Dobby

Visit site
Nope, don't and never have ridden in spurs. Partly because i'm worried I wouldn't use them properly and would hurt the horse, and partly because I've always thought that gadgets and aids and things were always a substitute for poor schooling or bad riding (sorry everyone, i'm not militantly like this it's just a vague belief! i'm sure it's not the case for everyone)

cokelly

Visit site
I do use them occasionally with my cob. He can be a little slow off the leg at times and I get a better response from him when I'm wearing them! However after a few schooling sessions with them he becomes more responsive to the leg and I find I don't have to use them!

I like them because you don't have to use them- they are there as a back up
smile.gif
The stick may work for some people and certainly it does wake him up but the spurs seem to fine tune my leg aids in all our work
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
i voted yes but its not quite that straightforward...i don't with current horses as they are super responsive to leg so don't need whip or spurs. other horses yes i do/have done. grey in siggy wore spurs all time except for hacking- impuls spurs for jumping or little teeny ones, longer ones for dressage. this is because otherwise he would ignore my leg and i'd have to kick the crap outta him. much better to give one reminder with a spur than constantly nag. i don't NECESSARILY think it shows poor schooling, although it can.
smile.gif

Storminateacup

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I like them because you don't have to use them- they are there as a back up
smile.gif
The stick may work for some people and certainly it does wake him up but the spurs seem to fine tune my leg aids in all our work
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats how I use them too, but not on my cob as funnily enough they are totally ineffective on him apart from a huge buck, a stick is best if I ever need him to get moving.
cool.gif

rara007

Visit site
I don't because I don't need to, all mine are responsive off the leg, and if they are not they understand the use of the whip. This works for the level I'm riding at
tongue.gif
I am thinking into looking into spurs for Pips lazy days, especially now he is in a double, but 99% of the time he is fine, and even when he isn't a little work on response to the leg sorts him out, but for lateral work I think it will help as he get confused between shoulder in, leg yeild walk halfpass and canter. I know its my inprecise riding, but I could apply spurs in a more correct way than having to draw my heels up as he has a shallow body for my legs.

Befney3

Visit site
I ride my boy in spurs about 50% of the time. Generally I jump in them & sometimes school in them. Schooling, I use them because he can be lazy & is a bit ignorant to my leg so I would rather ride in spurs for an occasional session & get him moving off my leg aids this way than spend a session pony club kicking him in the ribs. Jumping, I like to know he'll respond instantly, I think it sharpens him up &, as he can be lazy in front (ex-racer who hurdled), I sometimes need a quick reminder to pick his legs up properly on take-off.

I only ride in small, rounded spurs as this is all I need on my horse but I don't see a problem with most types/styles as long as they are used correctly & for the right reasons. I do, however, think that with children or novice jockeys spurs should only be used under close supervision & are rarely necessary.

Although I ride my boy in spurs, I would never get on someone elses horse with them on without asking first. I wouldn't be offended if someone would rather their horse was not ridden in spurs. I would also expect anyone who sits on my horse to ask if they planned on using spurs on him.

I think spurs are an aid that people often have strong opinions about. Personally, I don't think the decision to ride or not ride in spurs is too different from the decision to carry or not carry a whip when riding & I do think a lot depends on the rider, their ability & the horse.

daveismycat

Visit site
Yes, I wear spurs. My mare goes vastly better when I school in them, and as Diggerbez said, it is much better to give a single concise aid with my spurs than to constantly nag with my leg. My instructor suggested I school in them a few years ago, and we haven't looked back since then.

aidybex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nope, don't and never have ridden in spurs. Partly because i'm worried I wouldn't use them properly and would hurt the horse, and partly because I've always thought that gadgets and aids and things were always a substitute for poor schooling or bad riding (sorry everyone, i'm not militantly like this it's just a vague belief! i'm sure it's not the case for everyone)

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel very much the same - I guess never used them so worried I wouldn't use them properly. I have no problem with them, just know they can be evil in uneducated hands (or feet of course....!)

diggerbez

Visit site
but then so can a pair of reins! but i do take your point. i think if you have horrendously wobbly legs then you definitely shouldn't wear them!
blush.gif

MerryMaker

Visit site
I used to ride my mare in them when we went up the levels and started needing more "fine tuning", it helps make the aids clearer when asking for the harder lateral movements, without having to unsubtley and incorrectly move the leg, I also wear them on the big lad to get him going forward as he is not a fan of the stick, but the more fit he has become the less i am needing to wear them.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel very much the same - I guess never used them so worried I wouldn't use them properly. I have no problem with them, just know they can be evil in uneducated hands (or feet of course....!)

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I think most people misunderstand the use of spurs. IMO they are to refine the aids and to be able to give more of a precise aid when doing lateral work etc. This is NOT a substitute for correct riding, it is to make the distinctions between the movements clearer.

Also, having had a horse that needs pony club kicking I can also see the advantage of riding a dead-to-the-leg horse in spurs. I would sooner give one kick that is short & sharp than keep constantly banging my legs on my horse's sides.

In answer to the question though, I don't wear spurs on my current horse.
smirk.gif
I would very much like to but he is a thin skinned wimpy grey and even my leg can mark him sometimes so spurs just can't happen. I ride with a big long stick instead.
tongue.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
I just wear spurs for showing on horse I have now. On my horse before this one I had to use them to school.
My coloured mare I had didnt need them at all, it was the stopping that was the issue lol.

Kenzo

Visit site
Only if the horse needs reminding that leg on means move it and don't be so bloody lazy or for lateral work, but sometimes it only takes a few schooling sessions to re-educate them, some horses just simply don't always get on with them though, so the schooling whip has to be used behind the leg instead.

Besides if used correctly, if I was a horse, I'd rather someone use them on me than kicking or nagging with my legs, surely you have a better seat and lower leg when you are not moving it about unnecessarily all the time.

Having said that most of the horses I have rode (TB's) have never needed either of the above, a slight squeeze was more than efficient! lol

BFG

Visit site
Like every artificial aide they have a use in the right hands.

I use them for dressage competitions because he backs off slightly when i am in a new environment. I don’t normally have to use them at home but occasionally he comes out a little dead to my leg so i put them on for 5 mins then take them off.

I would use a schooling whip but it just makes him tense so i/he prefers the spurs.

My horse is very big and takes a lot to keep him between my leg and hand so occasionally he needs a gently reminder that i am still on board.

Storminateacup

Visit site
Thanks for all your contributions.
I think this poll has shown that a large proportion of HHO readers are happy to use spurs and know where the use of such is appropriate and beneficial to horse and rider.

Pesonally I was advised at first to use spurs many years ago on a very obstinate mule of a horse that I was having no success with getting to move forward. My level of riding was pretty poor at the time and I think I spent much of my time hammering at her sides with my heels and squirming about in the saddle (poor creature!!!) My instructor felt that using spurs would make me more aware of my leg position and the constant nagging I was delivering her.
After a few powerful bucks from her where I nearly came flying off, I learnt to use my spurs judiciously.
Altogether we ended up having a good working relationship and had some success in local Dressage classes.

When I progressed later on to my daughters 17.1hh ID/TB who was heavily on the forehand after being away on loan for some years, it was natural to use spurs on such a big fellow. It was a bit of a reminder that there was someone up there too as he could be a bit thick.
He was a joy to ride in spurs but pretty obtuse and flat, not lazy without them.
I also found spurs essential for hacking out alone as it gives you that extra forward spurt if you ever need to get out of the way of something, and prevents running back behaviour and spinning round evasions.
In many ways I think spurs can help a young horse gain confidence fast from their rider.

megwan1

Visit site
a big fat cob (not being rude to cobs but he actually is) on my yard has just found a rider bout a month ago after 9 months of no rider, the girl who rides him wears spurs to get him to keep moving and also the 1st time she rode him he was a nappy basta*d and gets worse when hit with a stick but goes better with leg aids so the spurs have really helped this. he also strides out alot better with them as he doesnt need constant naggin just small reminders every now and then.

i havent used them myself ever as i havent yet had a horse that needs them but if i do have a horse that would benefit then i would certainly use them.

i cant bear these people who say they are cruel!!!! they arent when used correctly but arent the nicest things on the wrong feet!

davejoiner

Visit site
I dont but my friend who rides my horse does as my legs are stonger than hers also she's 5"4 and I'm 5"9 so he's a bit dead to her leg :-/

miss_c

Visit site
I never ride Genie in spurs basically because they are the last thing I need! We have no issues with her listening to my leg and going forward, it's more the brakes!

GTs

Visit site
I use them all the time - that way people think I am a better rider than I am. When I want a sharper response I go for spur holes, it puts a whole new dimension on lateral work.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I don't, because, like others, i would worry about not using them properly and as a result ending up in orbit.
Also, because she is quite quick off the leg and don't need to.

I am a bit curious though, when you see top showjumpers wearing them on what look like really quite sharp horses, do they wear them in case the horse trys to back off from a jump and it is easier get them over with spurs?

Visit site
I occasionally ride one of mine in them if he becomes a bit sluggish and drops behind the leg. But I don't ride him with them regularly, probably a couple of times a month at the most.