Squaring off front toes

Charla

Visit site
Horse is rising 4. Has just been lightly backed and does short walking hacks at the moment. However, I’ve noticed he is squaring off his front toes. I think it’s more noticeable now he’s walking on the roads and wearing them. Had farrier look, he said it could be a number of reasons, possibly just growing, but there was nothing to trim and they were best being left as they are. Both fronts are worn evenly. How concerned should I be?
he seems to do it if he’s doing a lazy walk. If striding out or walking actively he doesn’t.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My mare doesn't do any roadwork and really picks up her feet, but hers were squaring off in front. Realised with the help of my farrier that she is doing it by pawing when impatient, or simply digging (which she loves to do in the stable and sand).

Goldenstar

Visit site
My answer to this in a horse that age would be remove the shoes .

you definitely need to get him videoed in slow mo and let the vet take a look .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What type is the horse? I ve seen square toes often on heavy horses that are completely fine, it's just what they do (often with triangular hind feet as well).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My navicular horse will sometimes end up with square toes his barefoot though, it only happens if he does a lot of road work and he only seems to drag them a bit on the way home, so maybe it's like a tired sort of thing I don't do a huge amount of road work anyway but I think you notice a toe drag more when you are on the road.

Charla

Visit site
Yes he’s barefoot. Otherwise has fantastic feet and isn’t footy in any way. He’s a small sports horse, mix of warmblood, thoroughbred, Connemara.

Charla

Visit site
It’s not noticeable him toe dragging. I’ve really had to look for it. But I think it must be that as it’s more obvious since he’s been on the roads.
He sometimes scraps when he’s given his feed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The hooves do get worn that way more on the road if they have a tendency to drag a bit, his quite young do you think he may be a bit tired, is he ridden for long? And is he ridden every day?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have a very similar thing with my 4yo Dales- unshod, just backed, short hacks. Nothing noticeable. She does like to paw the ground, but is out 24/7 so I'm not convinced it's that. Typical excellent Dales feet otherwise, so hopefully it's just a youngster/growing/learning to carry herself thing. 30 minute hacks in walk with a small amount of trot are plenty at the moment, she tires easily so my guess is that's the most likely cause. Although it is marginally worse on one foot, which also grows a little flare. That leg also threw a small splint last summer, which has gone done again now. She's due teeth and jabs in a couple of weeks so I'll get the vet to do a quick look over, he is equine only and has an amazing eye for feet and legs. I'll be following your thread with interest!

ihatework

Visit site
I would imagine it’s just a case of the feet starting to work on a new surface and wearing back. As long as the wear is even and horse not footsore I wouldn’t worry. Mine is doing the same, just taking the toe back naturally

Charla

Visit site
He’s ridden for no more than 20 minutes in walk for a hack and does that twice a week at the moment. The only time I have daylight! We don’t have any off road hacking, hence the road work.
I was wondering if he is perhaps growing and is just going through a stage. Or hoping that is all! Vet checked him over when I purchased him around 10 weeks ago and said he was sound and there was nothing of concern.

Charla

Visit site
I would imagine it’s just a case of the feet starting to work on a new surface and wearing back. As long as the wear is even and horse not footsore I wouldn’t worry. Mine is doing the same, just taking the toe back naturally

I hope that’s just it. He’d lived out his whole life at the breeders before coming to me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As much as anything it may well just be the work v. wear difference since he has started his short road walks.
I was more aware of it the other way round as mine went from doing miles and miles a week and requring a trim every 2-3 weeks to rest/very light duties and dealing the the subsequent trimming was quite full on for the first couple of months. Now in his retired life he goes 6 weeks easily.

I guess keep his walk active and see how he goes while it is all so new :) .

Charla

Visit site
And front feet face on

Attachments

• E1B1116B-09C4-4905-8F45-869253AAFBDE.jpeg
    E1B1116B-09C4-4905-8F45-869253AAFBDE.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 263CD8CF-7ADD-4434-9EED-3FC8F7C5408B.jpeg
    263CD8CF-7ADD-4434-9EED-3FC8F7C5408B.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 32

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ok so the angles aren't great and it's useful to brush soles with a wire brush for photos :)

But they wouldn't concern me, I'd be treating the frog but from those pics I'd say she's trimming her toes quicker than the edges but they don't look overly short. It looks like she probably has quite upright feet?

Fwiw my own didn't break over straight, so he would end up with a straight trim line but to the outside, hopefully you can see it on this pic (pre trim), the ones from above don't show it as well
21768431_10159527666955438_4106391484553385512_n.jpg

post trim
22046417_10159527666570438_259096137212227277_n.jpg

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
To be honest that looks like a pretty normal breakover being worn on the hoof. It may be wearing a bit more than normal because the frog and back of her hoof look weak and she could be landing toe first.
If you work on treating the thrush and getting a stronger frog she will land her foot in a better way and should start to wear the toe less. Where you said at the start it is when he is doing a lazy walk that is probably when he is landing toe first and starts walking heel first as he strides out.
I wouldn't stress too much about it though , treat the thrush and it will become better in time.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Just needs a trim but very normal.. that's what my horses hoof looks like when the toe gets a bit long and is due a trim. Although nowadays when that happens I take a bit of toe back because I know that's what the hoof needs.

Tarragon

Visit site
I keep my two ponies barefoot, and do a lot of road riding and do most of the trimming myself. I get them done professionally 3 or 4 times a year to make sure they are kept in balance. So, if after a good road ride I see the "squaring" off, I see it as an instruction to me they need a trim and I will round off the sides to keep in line with the new edge, if you know what I mean.

Last edited: