Squeaky Barefoot Saddle

CobsGalore

Visit site
How can I stop my Barefoot Saddle from squeaking??

I have never really paid that much attention to it, but after schooling him at my new yard last night it was quite annoying... and embarrassing!

It is the drytex version that I have, so it's not leather. The noise sounds like it's coming from the stirrup leathers.

Is there anything I can do?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I had exactly the same when my drytex saddle was new. I found that using any cleaner made it worse, changed the stirrup leathers, and put on a seat saver. Now only wipe over with water.

The bad news is that it took a good year for it to stop, and yes it drove me (and fellow riders) nuts. Not good.

Brightbay

Visit site
How can I stop my Barefoot Saddle from squeaking??

I have never really paid that much attention to it, but after schooling him at my new yard last night it was quite annoying... and embarrassing!

It is the drytex version that I have, so it's not leather. The noise sounds like it's coming from the stirrup leathers.

Is there anything I can do?

I have a brand new Drytex that squeaks like mad too! I have managed to overcome at least some of the squeaking by changing to Libby's webbing stirrup leathers on upside down (buckle at stirrup) but with soft sleeves over them. It took me about three hours to figure out how to get them on, mind ;)

Still a bit of squeaking but not nearly as bad. I ended up getting soft synthetic leather sleeves that are designed for treeless, but started off using two fleecy noseband covers which also worked fine (and were easier to get on and off, as they just Velcro...)

CobsGalore

Visit site
Omg! Glad it's not just me!!

What stirrup leathers should I get then? At the moment I have the proper Barefoot upside-down ones with the covers over them!

I also already have a sheepskin seat saver!!

I've heard talcum powder being used on squeaky leather saddles, would this work on the Drytex?

CobsGalore

Visit site
Just wanted to update for anyone else who has the same problem...

I turned it upside down the other night and covered the underside in talcum powder, got it in all the nooks and crannys, and caked the stirrup leathers in it too.

BINGO! Squeak has totally gone!

:D

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Really ? WOW !! Wish I had known that - that squeak drove me nuts, and even when I contacted Germany (I bought it direct), didn't get it sorted.

treacle_beastie

Visit site
Ha I was riding in mine today (leather cheyenne) and thinking it is currently squeaking more than normal but mine is coming from the pommel. If I hold the saddle against the pommel it stops. Its driving me insane!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Ooh, might have to try the talc on my barefoot saddle. It's leather (I think, cheap leather!) but might remedy the squeaks!

CobsGalore

Visit site
Yep, when walking my pommel would squeak, and when trotting the area under the stirrup leathers would squeak.

Seriously, turn it upside-down and cover it in talcum powder - it WILL work!

Brightbay

Visit site
Perhaps they should sell them with some Johnson & Johnson's vouchers??

Hmm, I wonder if the Lanacane powder I have for the horse's boots would work? :D My Ideal saddle came to me from a smoker, who had saturated it with Febreze to get rid of the smell. Ick! Two years later, it still smells of Febreze, although I suppose it's better than stale smoke...

Interesting that the leather Cheyennes squeak too, I had got to the stage of thinking I might have to trade up, but the talc idea is obviously cheaper :D

ETA - when you say "turned it upside down", I take it you mean you unvelcroed the seat? Not covered the fluffy underside with talc? :confused:

Last edited:

CobsGalore

Visit site
ETA - when you say "turned it upside down", I take it you mean you unvelcroed the seat? Not covered the fluffy underside with talc? :confused:

Lol sorry, no I didn't cover the fluffy underside! :D

I meant I turned it upside down so when I sprinkled it between the seat and leg flap it naturally fell into all the places that I couldn't reach :)