St John's Wort

HelenBack

Visit site
Just wondering if anybody has taken this and how you found it?

I've had a bit of a hard time over the last tow years or so, lots of problems with my horse and then this year with my dog and ultimately having to have him put to sleep aged just seven. At the same time I am going through changes myself and had to have an ovary removed a couple of months ago.

I'm really struggling to come to terms with the death of my dog which I think is partly due to the circumstances in which it happened and partly because of him being so young. I just feel really sad and tearful all the time and I miss him terribly.

Maybe I just need a bit more time to get through things but I suppose I'm wondering if life has all been a bit too much lately and maybe I need a bit of help. I'm trying to get a GP appointment to discuss things but that's not easy at the moment. I'm very wary of anti-depressants following a previous adverse reaction and am worried about them making me like a zombie. I wondered if St John's Wort might be a suitable alternative but am worried about side effects from that too!

The other option is HRT which I'm not on at the moment but had been considering. It's very difficult to know whether the low mood is caused by life events or hormones or what though and I guess I'm scared of chucking too much into the mix and confusing things but I don't want to feel miserable forever either.

I am arranging some talking therapy too so hopefully that will help as well.

Reactions: vhf

vhf

Visit site
No advice but didn't want to read and run. Wishing you well, and I empathise - far too many things to deal with all at once, it makes sense to need a bit of support.

Getting to your GP and maybe some grief counselling sounds like a good start (isn't there one for lost pets specifically?) I vaguely remember that St Johns Wort has some contra-indications you might want to check out. Also see whether Kalms or Rescue Remedy might fit the bill (again, watch out for the contras). There's a thread on here (Safe place to feel down) which is an option too, because talking with folk who share some of your interests/experiences nearly always helps. Be good to yourself. X

HelenBack

Visit site
Thank you, yes it does feel like a lot really. Maybe this is how life becomes when you're getting older.

Blue Cross do a helpline and I have called them a few times and found them helpful. I don't think they're specifically trained counsellors though, just people who have also lost pets and have done some training to talk to you and make you feel a bit better. I think I'm more at the point where I'm generally feeling blue now and wondering what to do about it.

I did think that about the St John's Wort so am a bit wary. Perhaps it's best to keep trying to get through to the GP, hard as that is. It was difficult enough before covid and the best way was just to turn up and demand an appointment but obviously you can't do that now.

CMcC

Visit site
I don’t want to belittle your feelings about your dog, I had to have my last Lurcher PTS when she was 4 die to a very rare and untreatable illness so I do understand. But I wonder if the low feeling and tearfulness are due to the cumulative effect of what has been going on over the last couple of years. Very understandable given what you have gone through.
I can recommend HRT, my GP was very anti and I had to burst into tears to get a prescription, I only took it for 6 months but it worked for me.

Petmurf

Visit site
I can highly recommend HRT, changed my mood and life in general completely around, no more mood swings, sleepless nights, hot flushes, aniexty etc. I’ve got my energy and motivation back. Have a chat with your GP about it, I’m on HRT patches which I change 2x a week.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thank you both, my GP did say she would prescribe HRT once I'd had the op but then when I went for the follow-up appointment with the consultant he suggested trying for a while without and seeing how I got on, especially as period type stuff has changed since. I think I need to go back and have a discussion with the GP though, sounds like it's worth a try if nothing else.

I don’t want to belittle your feelings about your dog, I had to have my last Lurcher PTS when she was 4 die to a very rare and untreatable illness so I do understand. But I wonder if the low feeling and tearfulness are due to the cumulative effect of what has been going on over the last couple of years. Very understandable given what you have gone through.
I can recommend HRT, my GP was very anti and I had to burst into tears to get a prescription, I only took it for 6 months but it worked for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I think it was difficult with mine as we made a decision based on quality of life so he could still have been here. I've always had a mental block about losing animals young so this was my worst nightmare and I kept questioning if we'd done the right thing. I do now believe that it was the kindest thing for him but it took a long time to get there and I guess for me it smarts knowing that he could still be here and I could have him with me, even if that would be selfish and unfair on him. I do think you're probably right about the cumulative effect though and maybe this wouldn't have been quite so hard had it happened in isolation of everything else that's happened.

Oldernewbie

Visit site
I take St Johns Wort and find it very helpful mood wise. Its proven to be effective at the right doses and is actually prescribed on the continent. The only side effect I have ever had is a bit of a headache for the first few days.
One note if caution however, because the liver metabolises SJW on the same ‘pathway’ as many prescribed medications, it can effect the effectiveness or potency of other meds which can be quite problematic so you need to do a bit if research prior to taking if you are on other meds.
It sounds like for you a combination of factors are at play, Reduced eostrogen can certainly cause low mood, and feelings of loss and change will be harder to then process.
Look up Dr louise Newsom for a good overview of HRT and definitely persue some talking therapy too. Good luck xx

PurBee

Visit site
Having 1 ovary removed, is relying on the other remaining ovary to provide hormones in the right amounts for body functions, and that can be quite a gamble if the remaining ovary is capable.
It sounds like youre possibly having hormone issues which definitely affects mood - so rather than go on psych meds initially, it would be more applicable in your case to enquire about HRT with your doctor.

St john’s wort - from what little i know of the herb, its taken for depression and does work for some people. However, I understand that its not to be taken for months on end, i cant recall at this moment the specifics but i think its due to its potential to be toxic to the liver accumulately if taken over long periods.
Its worth trying a low dose initially…and work up to the recommended dose. It may give you the lift you need. Take it for 3 weeks , have 1-2 weeks off…see how you feel. But bear in mind that its a band-aid and you may find HRT far more effective, as others on this and lotsof other threads say its a huge help after gyno-issues/hysterectomy etc.

To suddenly lose a very vital gland like an ovary, that was providing extremely vital hormones to your whole body, from metabolism regulation to neurotransmitter regulation, is a shock to the body and you will feel different. Life occurrences like losing your dog has compounded the after effects of that surgery, and its no surprise youre struggling. Dont blame yourself at all, hormones really are powerful chemicals in our body…they are so tightly regulated by the body and when they go awry there’s no-one on earth that can ‘carry on as normal’. So really be kind to yourself, and know this is a transitional difficult period that can and will change.
Get strict with getting a GP on board to listen to you, and offer you HRT to trial it to see if that helps. Be that patient that harrasses them if you have to! Women’s hormone issues are often not taken seriously by the general medical establishment so we have to be our own strong, persisting advocates, and put pressure on the GP to help, if they are not taking you seriously.

It’s a great idea to engage in some talk therapy - that alone, for many people who dont have anyone who genuinly listens to them, can be such a huge help, just having that personal level of support.

It sounds feeble, but i do want to add that if you can focus and engage on things you love doing, just for some time in your day, you can aid your brain to release dopamine and other mood-enhancing chemicals. When we are low we often ruminate and think of our losses, its understandable of course….but we spiral with our brain chemistry if we focus mostly during waking hours on the subjects that grieve us, upset us. We have to grieve loss, allow those emotions, to ‘emotionally cleanse’ ourselves…thats important….better than bottling it all up! Yet the danger with the process is we get stuck there and then find our moods remain there. The way to break the cycle is to naturally enhance your brains neurotranmitters by engaging in any activity you normally love doing. Its hard at first to just get into something and you may find you dont have the enthusiasm for it. Yet this is the hardest part about ‘self-care’…we have to make ourselves.

When at a very low point i was bereft of any enthusiasm for anything i usually loved to do. That depressed me more! I spiralled so heavily….so the only thing i could think to do to just give myself a break from my ‘state’ was take a walk in nature, through fields, amongst trees. I love the outdoors…witnessing the sights and sounds of nature….the trees…hearing the birds…seeing the varying colours etc…so i started there. Daily. I then took up drawing….and writing. Slowly…bits here and there. Some photography. Reasearch online into subjects i was interested in. I just kept going with making myself focus on things i enjoyed. That process allowed my brain and glands associated with producing mood enhancing neurotransmitters, to slowly ‘come online’ again and to do their job.
This is a level fo ‘self care’ we take for granted when life is ok. We often dont understand how good they are for us.

Extending self care to preparing delicious meals for yourself, having a good bath soak with essential oils.
Often carers of others - whether that is other people or animals, often lack the skill to self-care. Its a paradox of being a caring person. Carers often find themselves burnt out and require care themselves. Learning the skill to self-care helps us all to better navigate the turbulent tides of life. Reflecting the care you gave your dog, and others, to yourself, is what you need and deserve. It’s a part of loving ourselves that is essential and easily missed if most of our life we spend loving and caring for others.

As mentioned, this thread is a great place to post and have mutual support :

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/the-safe-place-to-feel-down-thread.787475/

Hugs to you… x
Fingers crossed your gp helps too.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thank you both for your helpful replies and PurBee for the additional thoughts on taking care of myself. You did make me well up a bit I have to admit with your kind and thoughtful comments but I think you're definitely right. It's been hard ot fin enjoyment in anything really. Walking is okay but hurts because the dog is not there. Riding I've been carrying on with and have started to vaguely enjoy it again the last couple of times. It's difficult though because if I ride on my own I can still spend a lot of time in my own thoughts which obviously isn't always helpful. We've started going out on our bikes again though and I must admit this has helped with feeling better. I do agree with you that it's important to try and carry on with things though and I'm thinking maybe things like going for a massage too now that it's dark in the evenings.

Anyway, I think form what everybody is saying I will try the HRT route first. I think my doctor will be supportive so it will just be a case I guess if deciding which of the options to try. I'm going to keep trying to get an appointment and maybe I will just go and bang on the door if I can't get through on the phone. Being told your caller number whatever and then being told that all the appointments have gone when you do finally get through just isn't on!

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
My OH has drunk SJW tea, says it's helpful against headaches. It does have some contra-indications and side effects though so it's a good idea to read up on those before buying any.

PurBee

Visit site
Thank you both for your helpful replies and PurBee for the additional thoughts on taking care of myself. You did make me well up a bit I have to admit with your kind and thoughtful comments but I think you're definitely right. It's been hard ot fin enjoyment in anything really. Walking is okay but hurts because the dog is not there. Riding I've been carrying on with and have started to vaguely enjoy it again the last couple of times. It's difficult though because if I ride on my own I can still spend a lot of time in my own thoughts which obviously isn't always helpful. We've started going out on our bikes again though and I must admit this has helped with feeling better. I do agree with you that it's important to try and carry on with things though and I'm thinking maybe things like going for a massage too now that it's dark in the evenings.

Anyway, I think form what everybody is saying I will try the HRT route first. I think my doctor will be supportive so it will just be a case I guess if deciding which of the options to try. I'm going to keep trying to get an appointment and maybe I will just go and bang on the door if I can't get through on the phone. Being told your caller number whatever and then being told that all the appointments have gone when you do finally get through just isn't on!

Its good to hear you think your gp will support you - thats one less battle ? Absolutely keep on at them to get an appointment. So many women testify to doing so well on HRT i would certainly try it, despite being sensitive to medication, having bad reactions etc, hormone wackiness is no fun at all, and anything to help hormonal state to balance is worth a try. When menopause hits then HRT can be very slowly tapered down in dose, so its much easier to manage that stage of life too on HRT.

Massage can be really therapeutic, thats a great idea. Our muscles hold our ‘stuff’ , become ‘knotted and stiff’ and can impact our health in various ways. Massage helps loosen us, deeply relax us, which is hard to do when stress goes beyond comfort threshold.
Engaging in anything you find deeply relaxing is truly worth doing. I happened upon ‘guided meditations’ on youtube and found some of them really helpful. The music is soothing, the voice guiding the body and mind to relax is equally soothing. Do a search on youtube and youll find loads. Light some candles, have some essential oils you like in an oil burner, Plug in your headphones, lay down comfortably, and just listen…it’s really lovely when you find ones that suits you. This activity also helps the brains neurotransmitters to adjust to being relaxed.
It’s like we have to engage in activities that stimulate joy and relaxation, to re-mind the perpetually worried/stressed mind into finding other states of mind, and then through these beneficial activities the brain’s chemistry alters to joy/relaxation chemicals, and thus the body feels better too. It’s easier said than done i know, yet little steps to try each day just embracing 1 thing, when you feel you can, is worth it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Google Bach flower remedies I take a few of these and I think they really work, I am 50 and my hormones are all over the place and cause a sort of anxiety I also struggle with confidence and feelings of being useless.

They are all listed on line and you just read what they are useful for and you can take up to 7 different ones at a time, amazon and Holland and Barratt sell them.

HelenBack

Visit site
Some great advice on here already, but one thing you could do straight away (if you aren't akready) is to take high strength vitamin D, and a vitamin B complex.

Thank you. Can you explain what these do please?

Google Bach flower remedies I take a few of these and I think they really work, I am 50 and my hormones are all over the place and cause a sort of anxiety I also struggle with confidence and feelings of being useless.

They are all listed on line and you just read what they are useful for and you can take up to 7 different ones at a time, amazon and Holland and Barratt sell them.

Thanks, I will take a look.