Stable Bandages!

hendrabonnie

Visit site
Who uses stable bandages and why?

I been brought up traditionally and have always been taught that when a horse is stabled and fit and in full work, they should have their legs bandaged! All my ponies are bandaged at night from my youngster to my shetland. Is there any piont or am i just making more work for myself?

cyearsley

Visit site
I have used them in the past when one of my horses used to get filled legs (hind) when stabled in the winter, putting them on overnight helped significantly. I would use them after after hard work, and/or over the cooling legs and tendon clay type products you can get. Would also use them for veterinary purposes is advised...hope that helps? Oh and have used them for warmth when horse unwell or bloomin cold! Don't use them daily though as would have thought that they should only be used when support needed but will be interested on what others say?

JenHunt

Visit site
we use stable bandages - for various reasons. I was brought up like you to use stable bandages on horses in hard work etc.

Ron has stable bandages after hunting and after eventing, or if he has to be in for longer than normal as one of his back legs fills up.

Tom gets bandages most evenings in the winter as he gets cold, and he also has sidebone so getting cold can make him sore.

If they are on box rest they get stable bandages for 12 hours of every 24. Or if one leg is bandaged to deal with an injury then the other one gets stable bandaged too.

Persephone

Visit site
I use them after hard work, after travelling, on cold nights or during periods of box rest.

That is on my perfectly fit and healthy 8 year old.

I have to say I don't use them as a matter of course for full work though. My horse always gets a turn out after work though so probably little point by the time she comes back in to the stable.

I would be more likely to use them more regularly on an elderly, stiff horse or one with some form of leg weakness.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I use stable bandages through the summer if horse has to stay in night before a competition (turned out 24/7 in summer so legs would fill if left without bandages)

I don't when they are always in at night beacuse I'm crap at bandaging and it takes me ages, also don't always have the time to thoroughly dry legs after they are washed down and hate putting bandages on wet legs incase they get too tight

sorry if this doesn't make much sense

ETA oh and always after a hard day's work ie hunting/x country