Stable door chains?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
That is exactly what I want to know!! Have found out that my TB doesn't weave if he's only got a chain across the door (or leadrope as we found out!!).

OH reckons you can quite easily make them yourself from hardware shop. Good idea to have a rubber tube over the chain apparently.

peanut

Visit site
You can get them from larger tack shops/equestrian suppliers

Have you looked on line - Robinson's etc?

CrazyMare

Visit site
Brilliant inventions! I have the on my doors (not conventional stable doors) and the ponies are much happier. It means my 13hander can see me tootling about on the yard and is quite happy.

Weezy

Visit site
In Spain it is what we use for all horses, including the stallions! We use them here too as we have such huge doors, easier to go in and out than lugging a door! We buy the chain from B&Q or , as they will cut it to size, and then put a clip on each end
smile.gif

BigRed

Visit site
Alternatively go to your local hardware store, get them to cut a length of suitable chain and buy some fittings.

dwi

Visit site
Sorry to be negative when other people seem to be loving them but I've seen two horses snap them and then end up loose on the yard which could be dangerous for them and us. Personally I wouldn't use one.

The mini shettie on our yard has a baby gate made out of an old pallett

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
You can buy lengths of chains from B&Q in various widths, just get enough for the width of the door and a little bit of extra on either side, then cover it with a length of insulation foam.

LCobby

Visit site
OUr cob walked through a webbing stall guard, the metal clips just snapped.
We have the rubber covered stall chains because they are adjustable, have a quick relaase safety clip on one end and the thick rubber covering means a tooth, rug buckle, clip etc does not get caught in the chain..
You can fis the rings either side as tie ring, set on big coach bolts to the walls or door posts, will even stand up to a 750 kilo cob pushing as hard as he can.

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
a friend of an old instructor was standing next to a horse who has behind one of these chains. the horse panicked barged through the chain. it exploded out of the wall and and a part hit her in the eye. she lost the eye. Could just be a freak accident and it was quite a few years ago so chains may have got better but i would never take the chance.
Luv Elle
x

collins

Visit site
They are great and can solve door banging problems etc... BUT be careful about the clips, last week we had a horrific incident with one horse chewing his and getting it caught in his mouth like a fish hook, he paniced and has ripped his cheek right through and severed an artery! only get one with safety catches. It was a bit of a freak accident but still really isnt nice.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Hey Cathy
laugh.gif
I have bought stall guards for the neds on box rest but they are only in use during the day when there are people about on the yard. They are a fabulous idea for long term stabled horses and gives them a sense of freedom
laugh.gif
They are also handy for door kickers too and my sanity.

Another idea is to cut some ply to size and create a slot on the inside of each door surround so that when he is in, the stable door can be left open and the ply slotted into place.