Stable door guards

hayinamanger

Visit site
One of my stables is very hot and stuffy, so I have bought a rubber covered stable door guard to try. Once a horse is used to them, would/do you leave him unattended for any length of time, daytime only? Depends on the horse? I worked on a yard years ago that used chains across the doors of all boxes, the horses were left unattended for periods through the day.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't think you can generalise about stall chains. Some horses will stand there all day with the door open & guard up & others will try & crawl under them. To be safe I would only have door open & chain across when you are on the yard & can keep an eye on what's happening.

One of mine, once put into the stable will not come out again even if the door is open, until he's asked, bless him! But I still prefer to only use the chain when I'm there. You never really know how your horse will react to the chain when you're not there.

ribbons

Visit site
I have a mare that I can guarantee would stay put with door open and no stall chain or guard. She will only leave the stable when led out. Strange, but that's her.
I have another who's stable is like Fort Knox. Clips on bolts, breach bar inside door to stop pushing it off its hinges.
There will be thousands of horses somewhere between these two extremes. Every horse is different.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I only have chains on my stables at home - they've been built 5 years now and I've never got round to putting doors on.
I've had probably 15 different horses here in that time and never once had one go under or through (they are only screwed in so a gentle lean would have them off no trouble) - we've had fat ponies, professional SJ's staying for competitions and 17h eventers.

The field is very secure so if they got out they can't get into any trouble so I've never worried about it

I've actually decided I think they are safer as if there was a disaster or fire then they all could easily get out.