Stable Entertainment

fernando

Visit site
Hi, I need a bit of help, I have a 17yo TB who it seems is immune to the charms of horseballs or lick-its, does anybody have any suggestions to keep him entertained in his stable.

Many thanks,

Lou

fernando

Visit site
I am trying to avoid the usual tonnes of haylage as his belly needs no help in growing!!!!

He has recently started turning his nose up at swede's, plus the hanging thing freak's him out, I tried it with the lick-it in the middle of his stable and he nearly had a fit!!!

Any other suggestions please!!!

Baileysno1

Visit site
Ryu is a stable toy expert, his stable is like a small branch of the early learning centre, his favourite has to be the decahedron ball, its a squared off plastic ball you can get a big or small one, chop up a carrot, handful of treats or feed and they have to roll ita round and shake it to get the food out, he whinneys to it when he hears me filling it, sad I know

Triskar

Visit site
If you can make arrangements for the pet to get away when they need the space, get him a pet - a chicken sometimes works and can hop out of the stable, or some racehorses have pigs as pets.......

GinaGem

Visit site
Have you tried a pasture lick (can't remember make but it's white bottom, red lid, rectangular shape). My girl won't eat any licks but that one.

fernando

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you can make arrangements for the pet to get away when they need the space, get him a pet - a chicken sometimes works and can hop out of the stable, or some racehorses have pigs as pets.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I live near a busy road, its secure for the horse but I doubt a chicken would last too long, we are working on getting him a companion but in the meantime some toys are whats needed.
thanks

tizer

Visit site
Hi we have lots of toys in our horses stables as well as mirrors they work really well and are supposed to aleviate (sorry can't spell) 78% of bordom as the horse doesn't know it's himself he's looking at, you can get mirrors from jackson arenas or try a piece of highly poished steel, all my mirrors were made for prisons! and we also let our horses have teddys hung on string against a wall and if the horse needs calming try putting a few drops of lavender oil on it. and try charity shops for push button toys that make noises! Hope that helps

vickers22

Visit site
you could try tying a carrot up, my boy is usually above all of that 'baby' stuff, but he spent hours with it...he loved it
grin.gif
!And also if you have small treats like codlivine apple crunchies, and tie them up as they are smaller and harder for them to get at!However make sure they are big enough so he doesnt eat the string!Also you could try hanging more haynets around the stable in the corners etc?

fernando

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Stable mirror and apples in water bucket for a bit of apple bobbing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

apple bobbing, thats such a good idea, many thanks
(runs off to local orchard!!!)

I do have a spare mirror, but how do you make sure they don't get broken?? I'll have to dig out the electric drill tonight.

Thanks everybody for your help

fernando

Visit site
I finally put a apple in his water bucket and he didn't move from the far side of his stable for about 1 hour!!! finally he came over - neck stretched fully out in case it attacked him!!!

I checked on him about 2 hours later and it was gone. So success, in that 2 hours he didn't see to touch his hay, so I can only assume he was trying to figure out how now to drown!! I'm getting a camera installed in his stable so I'll be able to run back to the house and watch him apple bobbing!!!

Again, many thanks for all your help.