Stable flooring cheap ideas?

thehorses2013

Visit site
I have recently moved to a new place of my own the stable flooring is grass ive only been there 3 days & when ive been mucking out the floor ie grass really smells plus alot of the wet straw is sticking to it & impossible to get off any cheap ideas i can do temp until i concrete slab it, even though alot of clean straw is put down afterwards i still fill bad putting my boys in there at night,

Also when i have concrete slabbed it will it still smell afterwards because im just covering it up in a way?, I cannot put down actull concrete as im not allowed but was going to put slabs down side by side & then rubber matting over the tops.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Take the top layer of grass/ mud off, cover with a layer of rubble or road planings. Whacker plate down & cover with rubber matting. This is a great way of doing a stable floor because the urine drains away really nicely!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Take the top layer of grass/ mud off, cover with a layer of rubble or road planings. Whacker plate down & cover with rubber matting. This is a great way of doing a stable floor because the urine drains away really nicely!

It will only drain away if the soil is free draining! The liquids have to have somewhere to go.

I dug a trench before building my stables and laid a perforated plastic drainage pipe to a soakaway. The trench and six inches or so of the stable was then filled up with pea gravel. So far, so good.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It depends on the drainage, but we have compacted earth floors, they have been there for twenty years. We intended to concrete them, but had to move the horses in before we could complete the task. We intend to take up the one we did concrete, as it is no-where near as good as the earth floors. They do need to be compacted and may need sand adding to level it up over time. They rarely smell and work very well with either straw or shavings. We are on fairly sandy soil over millstone grit.