Stable leg wraps - why?

little_flea

Visit site
Ok - after owning horses for MANY years, perhaps I am coming across as very unknowledgeable here - but what is the point of stable leg wraps?

They claim to dry legs and keep them warm - why would this be in any way beneficial? We usually try to cool legs after exercise, or sometimes bandage them to avoid swelling. Leg wraps do none of this.

I can understand that magnetic wraps have some benefit, and perhaps legs drying quicker could be good for certain skin conditions, but aside from this I am at a loss...

Enlighten me!
tongue.gif

Maizy

Visit site
Sorry I'm rather off post but I would like mine around my legs right now to keep me warm. Perhaps if no one else can suggest a use for them we could start a new trend!

I have mine to dry my old boys legs off after a typical English day in the peeing rain...

Luci07

Visit site
Actually I do use them to dry off my horses legs - but being a gray he has 4 nice "white" socks. As he spends a lot of time being washed off, I invested in some to dry his legs off before creaming them up. The old rhyme about 4 white socks does ring a bell with me in winter, he seems to become a sensitive soul and I become fanatical about mudfever etc.

Never had this with my bays!

Nailed

Visit site
Sorry Im with you Flea... I dont 'get' them.

I use pig oil and sulphur to combate the mud rash. I dont ever watch legs off unless theres a cut.

I stable bandage to prevent swelling.

Otherwise.. they go in the box.. night night.

Lou x

Nailed

Visit site
As an after thoguht. I dont see how they would help a horse with Mud fever/rash. damp warm conditions are the highlight of the bacterias life! So surely having a nice warm leg wrap slapped on is going to encourage the bacteria to reproduce.

Lou x

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
My horse is 30, my vet said it would be beneficial to keep his legs warm for his arthritis. I use Eskadron wraps with stable bandages, I also have thermatex wraps that do up on their own that wick away moisture and keep his legs warm. Not sure about wraps but bandages help with horses who suffer from their legs filling up.

My friend always bandages her show jumpers.

I don't think there is any benefit for mud fever sufferers as someone else said that would be ideal conditions, warm and wet !

Luckily touch wood thats one of the things my horse doesn't suffer from

Rana

Visit site
I've used wicking wraps to dry legs after washing and before applying any cream, ie, I washed legs, put wraps on for 2 hours, then took them off, so not left on overnight.

Now use quilted leg wraps to help keep my oldies legs warm (keeping warm is beneficial for arthritis). I could use stable bandages, but the wraps are quicker and easier for me and have less risk of pressure points if I'm in a rush.

Chestersmum

Visit site
I use field chaps in the winter for when he is turne out and then use stable wraps when he is stabled, including over night.

Horse gets dreadful mudfever, so a combination of field chaps and stable wraps help keep legs dry and mud free.

I went for magnetic stable wraps as he also has arthritis and the combination of wraps and magnotherapy helps to increase circulation, keep his legs warm, prevent filling and puffiness.

I think they help massively - he comes out of the box with a spring in his step and looks much looser than he otherwise does.

I have to say, I have never put stable wraps onto wet, muddy legs and left them on- which is why I use them in conjuction with field wraps, which reduce how wet and muddy his legs get when he's out.

Sparklet

Visit site
I used to have leg wraps on my old TB because her legs swelled stood in the stable overnight and despite the fact that I know it is purely a cosmetic thing because the wraps have no beneficial purpose it meant I could put exercise boots on her straight from the stable. The alternative was big puffy legs, boots on, work, swelling reduces, boots slip down.

silvershadow81

Visit site
For the same reasons as NOISYGIRL

When it is really cold in the morning, my 21YO used to be quite stiff walking out. I now use thermatex wraps and keep her joints nice and warm, she walkes out much better for keeping her joints warm.

Kenzo

Visit site
They benefit arthritic horses and ones that are boxed for long hours during the cold months, helps to prevent strains etc if they need to start work first thing, like hunters etc .