Stable mats

Micky

Visit site
Hi all, I’m looking to buy some new rubber stable mats, any recommendations for thickness, heaviness and suppliers without totally breaking the bank please? I have old cow mats down at the moment and they keep lifting at random places, meaning I keep catching them with my fork mucking out..driving me mad! ? thanks!

chaps89

Visit site
I bought ark mats last year, they were really helpful and easy to deal with. Price was reasonable and mats are still going strong (though my mum has them now)

jnb

Visit site
This probably isn't the answer you want, but...
I have had Equimats 28mm (They do 24mm too) for 16 YEARS and they're still going strong. They're interlocking so never move, lighter than rubber ones but still enough weight to keep them still. They cost me £400 in 2004 and worth every penny.
Otherwise, look out on Facebook Marketplace for second hand Equimat or other rubber matting if you want to save money. I managed to get my mum a second hand set of Equimats for a 12 x 14 ft stable for £180 - but i did have to collect.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
They're awful if you want to move them, but the standard heavy duty rubber stable mats have lasted me over 8 years. I got them on offer at Mole Valley. A friend has the inter-locking EVA mats in pink, she paid a fortune for and she is forever getting issues with them moving around and not staying in place.

Haniki

Visit site
I've got Mayo mats (cow mats) and Ark mats, both 24mm thick plus a few old Agri mats. The Agri mats are very heavy and now in my field shelter. The Ark mats compare well with the Mayo mats and are much cheaper. My Mayo mats must be around 20 years old and still going strong. i would never not use stable mats now.

Surbie

Visit site
I have 2 sets. One is interlocking rubber mats. Each weighs about 25kg and they fit my stable so tightly there isn't a chance of them moving. They are secondhand and one has very worn interlocking bits that bedding gets a bit caught in, but that is the only minor issue.

The other set is interlocking 24mm EVA. Again, they have never moved around, but were cut to fit the whole stable.They expand slightly after fitting, which meant I had to cut them again, but they haven't moved around. I have a heavy cob who isn't that careful with his feet so if they could have been moved, they would have.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
This probably isn't the answer you want, but...
I have had Equimats 28mm (They do 24mm too) for 16 YEARS and they're still going strong. They're interlocking so never move, lighter than rubber ones but still enough weight to keep them still. They cost me £400 in 2004 and worth every penny.
Otherwise, look out on Facebook Marketplace for second hand Equimat or other rubber matting if you want to save money. I managed to get my mum a second hand set of Equimats for a 12 x 14 ft stable for £180 - but i did have to collect.

I can beat that - I've had my 28mm Equimats for 25 years and they're still going strong ! They've been in constant use in all that time and they've hardly spread at all , still lovely and thick and spongy but really light and easy to manoeuvre if you want to lift them . The only damage of note is a 'hole' ( not gone right through to the floor ) where we had a mare who would dig in one spot in front of her net . She had that stable for 14 years so can't complain !
I wanted mats for 1 12'x16' and 3 12'x12' stables , I can't remember the original price they quoted but I do know that I managed to haggle them down to £1000 and free delivery ( I'll haggle over virtually any purchase - just ask nicely , if you don't ask , you don't get ,- and at the worst they can only say no!) . In fact , thinking about it , although £1000 was a lot of money at the time , they're still in such good condition that I reckon I'd virtually get my money back now if I sold them second hand !
They have truely been brilliant ! Can't recommend highly enough !

fabbydo

Visit site
Mayo mats are thick and you can easily move them by yourself. Some of mine must be 20 years old now.

paddy555

Visit site
I have the thickest mayo mats hate them. I would pay someone to take them away. The rest of my stables have field guard mats over 25 yrs and they are wonderful.

fabbydo

Visit site
I have the thickest mayo mats hate them. I would pay someone to take them away. The rest of my stables have field guard mats over 25 yrs and they are wonderful.[/QUOTE
What is it that you don't like? I like mine because the are easy to get a snug fit, they don't move and I can lift them by myself. Genuinely interested. I haven't used field guard mats before.

Carrottom

Visit site
My equimats are about 18 years old and still you good apart from the stable that has had the weavers in. Also, I find a plastic rather than metal fork prevents stabbing the mats with it (I muck out friends stable with old cow mats).

paddy555

Visit site
I can lift them which is good. They don’t fit tightly and move. I have some of the thinner mayo ones and they stay put t is the thicker ones that are the problem. They are just not stable. The horse can move them around As he moves. I find it difficult to get a shavings bed to lie down on them. It just moves around.

Micky

Visit site
So you’re (nearly) all saying the interlocking ones are better than normal mats? I thought that maybe the heavier would stay in place better! ?..I was thinking more the £200 mark..certainly cannot afford much more!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I’ve had the regular rubber mats in my stables for over 12 years and they’re still going strong. I’ve recently bought some more for a new stable and tack room and they weren’t quite as nice as the old mats. Interestingly I bought thinner mats for the tack room area and I think they’re just as good as the thicker ones.

Micky

Visit site
Staffs/Derby/Cheshire....basically I’d like mats that don’t move but are thicker than 15mm but not too thick! I’ve a metal fork I’ve had for years, plastic ones tend to break from what I’ve seen with friends !