Stable rugs debate

ernikins

Visit site
I am having a debate about what to do stable rug wise for this winter. My horse gets fully clipped so I want a really nice heavyweight rug witha detachable neck cover.

The debate I am having is that he is quite wet in his stable so I need something that doesn't soak up the wee like a sponge, and also last year his skin got quite scurfy and irritated - so I wanted to go down the silver interactive line.

I would really like a Fal Godolphin rug but they are nearly £200 and I have just bought a Rambo Supreme rug which has set me back a fair bit. I like the Mark Todd rugs, but found they don't come up deep anough for my boy - what does everyone recommend for bad skin, warmth and no stains - or am I dreaming that such a thing could exist????!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Just keep him in his Newzealand - or put a better bed down
tongue.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Slumberdown breathable turnout rug (with neck cover if you want it)....keeps 'em warm and dry
smirk.gif

ETS: About £75 from memory so good value too
wink.gif

Pidge

Visit site
The Rambo Supreme is the black and gold one? If it is then its breathable so can be used in the stable as well. Pidge has one and spent most of the winter in it, with a bib on to stop his shoulders rubbing (the rug does fit well but his shoulders are huge!) I only had to put a lightweight stable rug underneath on a couple of occassions when it was something daft like -9.5 in the mornings! No point spending out on another rug if you don't have to. (Says she who has over 20 rugs for one horse
blush.gif
)

K9Wendy

Visit site
Turnout rugs don't stain the same. I use a stable rug at weekends when I can do the rugging and nearly every Sunday take it home to wash as it's rotten from just 2 nights!!

brightmount

Visit site
I have enough stable rug permutations to be able to take them home regularly to wash, as they really chuck up after about 5 days of the horse lying in muck - and yes, I do have a deep bed!

Turnout rugs I prefer not to wash so as not to disturb the waterproofing so I would be disinclined to use them in the stable. Mud I can live with, the other stuff .....