Stable / shelter advice please

BBH

Visit site
Hello , I am getting a four acre field ready for rental and would like some help with shelter .

I’d like 2 horses and a pony or 3 ponies to rent and would like thoughts on what most people would look for accommodation wise.

An open fronted barn for maximum flexibility

Three 12 x 12 field shelters

three 12 x 12 stables

or any other configuration or options / thoughts

Thankyou x

ihatework

Visit site
If you are planning on them living out 24/7 and having free access then I’d probably look for a large double open shelter 24 x 12 with either a single shelter or stable in addition. What you really need is enough space that they can’t corner and hurt each other, whilst also giving yourself the option of a stable should you need to restrict something.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Personally the open fronted barn or a large field shelter would be my preference but more importantly I'd look for a hard standing or area I could take them off the field to save the field in winter. Good luck.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For three sharing, I wouldn’t go smaller than a double fronted 30‘ x 12‘ field shelter. Whilst my 3 do sometimes share the 20’ x 12’, it’s a bit of a squish as one mare is dominant, but they can all find a relaxing space in the 30’ x 12’.

Double openings are a must when sharing.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Agree that one big shelter is best, with the option to put in a partition in case one needs box rest or for dental work etc. I have a shelter that is divided into two for my two horses and without fail they share one, eating all the haylage in that, before moving into the other for a repeat!

BBH

Visit site
Thanks everyone , there will be a concrete base 24 x 36 ft . I like the idea of the open fronted barn and then a stable for medicinal and maintenance needs and perhaps a storage area x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would get a double open front shelter for the horses in the field, we used the metal shipping containers for storage at one place I think you can rent them.