Stable Toys for Laminitics

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Never used it but some people say a log in their stable? theyll chew and play with it etc.
Football, (slightly deflated, so they cant pop it)
Football in a haynet.

WandaMare

Visit site
Mine has one of those himalayan salt rock licks on a rope, not very exciting but he does seem to enjoy it and he licks it frequently through the day. Also you can get a mineral lick for laminitics, with magnesium and other things except sugar, can't remember what its called now but I put one in a bucket in his stable and he enjoys that too.....

Also stable mirrors seem to keep them happy and occupied, mine likes to talk to himself in his :)

becca1305

Visit site
My old boy has cushings and so comes down with laminitis on a regular basis. We have found Badminton horse nuggets to be fantastic... All of our horses have them and love them and they make a cheaper alternative to treats as they are nice and chunky and come in standard size feed bags.

They are made of fibre with a really minimal sugar content. We distract our boy while the others get turned out with a treat ball with 1/6th scoop nuggets in it and usually the others go in the field turn round and stand with their heads over the fence into his sandpit area begging for the nuggets! Cant recommend them highly enough been feeding them for years and never found another low fibre chunky nugget feed, not that we would want to swap anyway!:)

Tip - buy a small hexagonal treat ball- takes longer for them to get the treats out than a round/oval ball.

Rose Folly

Visit site
One side of our little stable yard is the log shed. My mare spent happy hours when down with laminitis lifting the logs (mainly willow being seasoned) out one by one and eating the bark off. Vet approved, as willow bark contains aspirin. I also cut her cow parsley from the stream banks which kept her busy for ages shredding the stalks from the leafy bits. Again vet approved and she has certainly fully recovered. The £16 horse ball lasted 3 days - they are just not made stoutly enough for a determined cob with time on her hands or hooves - but she did love it. It was filled with strips of parsnip, a very few slivers of carrot and apple, and pony nuts - just one handful.

She was being fed oatstraw, and I handpicked her grass and sprinkled it through the straw, which was on the cement for her. Again, she spent hours sifting through. She also liked the radio, and SkySports on our neighbour's TV.