Stable & Turnout Rugs

CastleMouse

Visit site
I have decided to go for a hunter clip for Cass (which is what my clipper recommended when I rung him a few minutes ago), and I know he'll need a stable rug, which weight should I go for? He'll be stabled at night and turned out during the day if isn't too cold with a rug on, which weight should I get? I have a lightweight at the moment, but I'm sure that won't do. Any help appreciated
smile.gif

pottamus

Visit site
You may need a variety...something heavier will deff be needed and then something in between. Some people say that you are better with layers of thinner rugs...but I have not tried that one. I have a light one for my native when he's clipped but bought a heavier one too just in case...not used it yet but then he was not clipped last winter.

brightmount

Visit site
I have a range of weights: a 300gm heavyweight, 200gm mediumweight, quilted under-rug and fleece, and what I put on depends on the temperature that it's going to be overnight. For example late summer I wouldn't put on more than a fleece. Autumn might be the medium weight, then in winter I might use the medium+fleece underneath, or the heavyweight, or medium+under-rug, or when it's really as cold as it gets, the heavy+under-rug. I take each day as it comes.

For turnout I prefer not to layer but I find is useful to have rugs with necks that detach as they allow for changes in the weather.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Unless I can re-rug in the morning ie Sat & Sun mornings I leave a heavyweight turnout on day and night. If rug comes in wet it drys faster on her. As she is on livery I don't want YO to have the hassle of changing rugs either.

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
to give you a rough descrip of what Linx has, he is a 14.3Hh welsh cob who has a hunter clip (around oct/nov time) during the winter. he is stabled at night & out for a few hours everyday, but he can feel the cold & when i first got him i had a hard time of trying to find ways to keep him warm.

stable rugs

1X waffle rug for when he is sweaty or a thin extra layer is required or a day rug when first clipped & when it gets warmer

1X summer sheet is for use under his heavier rugs to help keep them clean & this is washd regulalry

1X 115g (Masta) underrug combo for use when it gets really cold in Dec- Jan - this is usually under his masta 220g or shires 300g

1X 220g (Masta) stable rug for use as a night rug when first clipped & a day rug when the days get colder used @ night until Dec time

1X 300g (Shires) Chilcheeta stable rug for use as a day/night as & when required used from Dec onwards depending on weather

1X 425g (Masta) Regal stable rug for use @ night during the really cold spells - only used this twice last year compared to 2 months the previous year

Turnout rugs

1X (Masta) L/W t/o rug used during sept/oct before clipping to protect from rainscald

1X 175g (Masta) used when first clipped or if required prior to clipping

1X 360g (Weatherbeeta) Orican High used when first clipped

1X 360g (Masta) with sep neck cover used when it starts to get muddy & colder

- when it comes to spring i start to take him back down through the above rugs until he is in just a rainsheet

hope thats helpful

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Agree with what everyone has said. But out of interest - why has the person that clips your horse recommended full clip. Will you be hunting regularly??

If not I would go for either a hight trace or a blanket clip.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Fair enough then - thought that the 'Clipper' might have been trying to earn some extra bucks LOL
grin.gif

Presumably you already have a variety of rugs. But you can't go wrong in investing in a good heavyweight turn out. Rambo, Fal, Mark Todd are very good rugs. In the height of winter the horse will be able to live in this rug day and night - so it will save some money on getting a heavyweight stable rug as well.

Have a look on Ebay - as there are rugs starting to come up there now, and you could get some real bargins.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Just leave him in his outdoor rug.... if he comes in wet the rug won't dry by the morning if you take it off but if you leave it on his body weight will dry it.

Then you only need to buy one rug
grin.gif

Mine will have a full clip and has a LW, MW and a HW. He'll mostly be in the MW.