Stables dating back '70's and before...

Fools Motto

Visit site
Does anyone have/use OLD stables? The ones with bars, cobbles, brass fittings, and hasn't been updated?? Or old 'outdoor' stables, solid brick built buildings, thick stable doors and a courtyard sort of thing with a clock?

I'm in love with my new yard (which almost has the above), and wondered if I'm alone?
*just evening day dreaming!

springtime1331

Visit site
Love, love , love traditional stables. I did a history degree and am now a history teacher but have lofty thoughts at times of doing some kind of postgraduate studies in old stables and of horses living in British cities during the industrial revolution.

Evie91

Visit site
Our stables are from around 1840! To be fair they have needed a lot of renovation. The outside walls, air vents and cobbles are all that is original. We live in the coachmans cottage (2 up,2 down). Originally the courtyard had a clock and dove cote but not anymore.
Such a shame it wasn't taken care of as originally it would have been a beautiful property but was allowed to go to rack and ruin.
Before renovation there would have been four pony sized stables, cedar dividers with metal bars but they had rotted and rusted away (as no roof) and a hay store above.
Now single story structure with three stables and breeze block walls - unfortunately we don't have the money to restore it to its former glory!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've just done a bit of historical reading, and where the house and stables that I keep my mare at is, dates back to an astonishing 1304! It was ''updated'' in 1380! Sure has history.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We deliver feed to some beautiful stable yards, they have much more soul than brand new with (very useful I know but not attractive) concrete. Tiled walls and floors, pillars with tie up rings, deep set metal mangers... Beautiful!

Fools Motto

Visit site
The house (taken off the internet)
zealshouse_zps5dae2dd4.jpg

The stable block - one of two. Stalls on one side, internal stables the other (photos of which to follow when my camera plays ball)
stables_zpsce4ec7b7.jpg

similar to this;
stalls_zpsfba76141.jpg

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
At my previous house the old stalls for the working Shires had been converted into a garage. It can never have been an elegant building though.

Old Bat

Visit site
The main block at the stables in Sussex where I used to ride and work were a mixture of four stables and two stalls very similar to your photo, with a hayloft above which we shinned up an iron ladder bolted to the wall to access, and holes above every hayrack so you could just plop the hay through straight into the racks from above. Beautiful.

lornaA

Visit site
About 20 years ago I kept my horse at kelburn country centre near Largs and they had beautiful old stables and beautiful stalls. I doubt they will still be there tho as when I moved away they were talking of knocking down the stalls to replace with loose boxes.

Equi

Visit site
Mine are pre 70's and have the floor and the iron seperators and corner mangers.

998589_10200524653376294_1155962219_n.jpg

184097_4823225935994_107789894_n.jpg

There is also a walker thats a bit ott lol

75069_4513811320822_1728494422_n.jpg

Last edited:

dollymix

Visit site
where I learnt to ride in Manchester, the stables belonged to the old manor house and were traditional brick built stalls, with mangers etc....and they also had a separate stable yard which backed onto the old house. These were especially beautiful; with a cobbled courtyard and clocktower. They also have a huge building with an arched doorway where I believe they would have stored the carriages.

They don't make quality like that anymore sadly.

Solstar

Visit site
My stables are beautiful, they date from the Victorian period (not sure exactly how old they are) and have all the original features. They are all set inside a red brick building. Oak panelling throughout, the dividing walls are half height oak boards with wrought iron bars above. The stable doors are full height with railing 'windows'. There's a hayloft above and another loft for storage, and the tie rings are iron but lions head shaped. Integral mangers and hay racks (which I don't use but are fab for storing rugs!) There are drains in each stable and an original feed room, which has a huge oak feed bin in. The stables are set into an enclosed courtyard, which is grassed but has a cobbled tie up area and a seperate wash off area with drainage.

Absolutely gorgeous... we have only recently moved in but am looking forwards to slowly restoring it to its original glory, as although it's in good nick, it could be better!

Fools Motto

Visit site
My stables are beautiful, they date from the Victorian period (not sure exactly how old they are) and have all the original features. They are all set inside a red brick building. Oak panelling throughout, the dividing walls are half height oak boards with wrought iron bars above. The stable doors are full height with railing 'windows'. There's a hayloft above and another loft for storage, and the tie rings are iron but lions head shaped. Integral mangers and hay racks (which I don't use but are fab for storing rugs!) There are drains in each stable and an original feed room, which has a huge oak feed bin in. The stables are set into an enclosed courtyard, which is grassed but has a cobbled tie up area and a seperate wash off area with drainage.

Absolutely gorgeous... we have only recently moved in but am looking forwards to slowly restoring it to its original glory, as although it's in good nick, it could be better!

PHOTOS!!!!! plz x

luckyoldme

Visit site
Ahh im getting all nostalgic. I used to work in a beautifull yard in the north east. It was built round a square yard with stunning tiled stables and stalls very like the ones pictured earlier in the thread. There was an old clock tower which evan had harness hanging in it. You just imagine doffing your cap!