Stables planning - supporting statement

abbijay

Visit site
My parents are looking to get planning permission for stables on their field. Dad works in an allied field and has employed an architect to draw plans up. They have asked me to provide a supporting statement for this, has anyone done this previously and have any tips?
Our plan is to focus on the rare breed promotion and preservation aspects of what I do - I have clydesdales and that's why we can't have 12x12 stables so these are bigger - i show, I do demos, I've been in magazines and won awards (I'm thinking I need to play up my role and not just say "i have 2 big ponies I love and I'd like my mum and dad to help me with them"). I did think alluding to breeding potential if they're at home would be a good idea too and another way to justify big stables.

Leandy

Visit site
I'm not sure what needs to be included in a supporting statement but you refer to wanting to address the size of the stables as being larger than the norm. I seem to remember a relatively recent (ie in last few months) post on here where planning authorities were trying to tell the OP that the perfectly standard size stables they had build were in fact unfit for purpose as not big enough for horses! It could be worth doing a search for that thread. I'm not sure whether they ever established what guidance the authority thought it was working from.

Asha

Visit site
The best thing to do is go on the councils planning site and look up other successful planning applications similar to yours, and use a similar argument.
Id also highlight the rare breed point, plus mention that its a welfare issue to have appropriate size stables plus appropriate materials. The last thing you want with those size horses is to be pushed towards wooden ones.

Good luck

little_critter

Visit site
I have nothing to base this on but I’m not sure about raising the breeding side of things. This might give the planners images of this being a business with the associated traffic / visitors etc etc. Not to mention imagining wild rampant Clydesdale stallions roaming the area.

TGM

Visit site
I agree with little_critter above, I'd be wary about putting anything in your statement which might lead the council to believe traffic to the site might increase significantly (ie if you were to do demos at home, or had regular open days for viewing breeding stock). Obviously, this is less of a concern if road access to the site is good, but crucial if access is via narrow rural lanes, for instance.

I'd try and keep it brief and clear and I know our local planning department welcomes the use of clear photos to demonstrate the points you are trying to make. They like concrete data as well, so you could give the height of a 'normal' horse (in metres as they might not understand hands) and compare it with the height of your Clydesdales. Photos that show the scale of the breed would be good, ie stood up showing their size against a human handler. And if you could get photos of a Clydesdale in the size of stable you desire that might be a good idea, and if you could contrast that with a Clydesdale looking cramped in a standard size stable then even better. I'd definitely stress the welfare side of things, like they need room to lie down easily and move around the stable. If you can find some published information (either in a book, magazine or online) about the recommended stable size for heavy horses then that would be good too.

Lacuna

Visit site
Have the Planning officers asked for a supporting statement?

Just a little confused as we've recently had a full planning application passed in a National Parks areas for a 3 bay stable block. We didn't have to provide any supporting statements about what it was going to be used for, just the usual building spec info - even though I am having 3 x 14 foot square boxes built for my currently owned 2 x 14 and 13hh ponies as we deemed that to include more flexbility for future usage

https://tinyurl.com/2n2vjrpa - link to the application if it is of interest

blodwyn1

Visit site
On our stable application I pushed the welfare needs I have Welsh d cobs and they need to have their grazing restricted to prevent laminitis.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
We have a block of 4 stables from National Stables precisely because they offered an ' extra height ' option in addition to whatever size stable you want ie 12x12 , 14x16 etc ( don't know if they still offer this ) , and I had an 18.1 hh Clydesdale at the time . The planners seemed more concerned with the number of stables going up , rather than the size . Infact I don't think the size was queried at all .What they were most concerned about was that it was not a commercial venture . They are very wary of business use so I would think very carefully about what you say in promoting yourself and make sure you emphasise that the stables are for personal use only .

captainmark

Visit site
Based on our experience:

LPA likely to encourage initially applying for 'advice' - we've had good and very bad experiences of this however so may be worth going straight to an application? Your architect will be able to advise – LPAs will vary. Architect should also be able to write the supporting statement. You can also of course do everything yourself. We did…….. depending on location / LPA the application might be very straightforward and an easy yes, or you may have a battle? For the statement as somebody has already suggested have a look at ones that have been successful in your area.

What is the current land use? if agricultural you will need to change to equine if you do anything other than grazing. Which you clearly do. Generally considered an acceptable use of the countryside so likely to be fine. I believe some people change the use first then put applications in for stables etc. (when we bought our land it had already been changed to equine use). If it’s currently agricultural probably best to erect any significant stock fences etc you are likely to need now – I believe once it becomes equine you may need permission in theory. (?? - but don’t take my word on this one - we included as part of our application)

LPA may well prefer stables in a fixed location (usually nearer road / entrance with least impact on countryside) as opposed to mobile field shelters all over the place which (assuming nothing has changed in the last 4 years) don't need permission as long as they are moved in a regular meaningful way. Worth referencing somewhere.

We have a Shire and a smaller Clydesdale cross - they are only in when weather extreme. We have 3 stables (tall!) 12x12, but split into 2 with a gate giving us 20x12 & 16x12. Straightforward to convert to 3 stables with trusses in the normal place enabling partitions to be easily added. Door positions slightly adjusted from the norm – the 20x12 therefore has 2 doors. Good feature if and when you sell as the majority don’t have the need for larger stables! LPA may like this flexibility as reduces environmental impact if/when changes made for smaller breeds.

Bio-diversity net gain – eg: Permanent rewilded area(s) / new trees & hedgerows / bird, bat, and hedgehog boxes etc. Wildlife pond good too. Obviously depending how much space you have. This should score very good points if you need them - the right thing to do anyway and very pleasant too of course! ?

For the area in front of stables they probably won’t want more concrete than necessary. Measure the length of horses!! (we reduced proposed m2 during the application process – and actually reduced further to save cost!). We have then used press in grass grid where concrete ends preventing the mud………

Raise welfare issues too - just seen very valid point about laminitis

Good luck

captainmark

Visit site
We have a block of 4 stables from National Stables precisely because they offered an ' extra height ' option in addition to whatever size stable you want ( don't know if they still offer this ) , and I had an 18.1 hh Clydesdale at the time . The planners seemed more concerned with the number of stables going up , rather than the size . Infact I don't think the size was queried at all .What they were most concerned about was that it was not a commercial venture . They are very wary of business use so I would think very carefully about what you say in promoting yourself and make sure you emphasise that the stables are for personal use only .

yes, private use only - very good point!

sport horse

Visit site
I would include details of the sixe of the horses and the Clydesdale. Bit ignorant but if it is a breed listed as in danger with the Rare Breeds society, they might give you a supporting letter. Are you horses mares? If so their potential as breeding mares to help save the breed should be mentioned. All documentation that proves you 'know what you are doing and talking about' as opposed to activites run from home etc.

I had trouble getting planning for a staff flat but my experience from that is to give as much information to back your application as posssible in order to make it more difficult for the plannrs to find any reason to refuse. I gave them a whole booklet in the nd and they gave in!

abbijay

Visit site
Thank you so much for all the comments. Lots to think about and I will stress that it is for personal use and will contact Ian at CHS to see if he can support me.
Your best plan is to instruct a local surveyor/architect to act on behalf of your interests. I would try to also get a letter of endorsement from the rare breed society concerned.
We have already instructed an architect who is doing drawings and compiling our submission, the land owner/applicant (my dad) is a surveyor so he is also rather well versed in planning matters and I'm just the horse owner who wants to put this in.
It had never occurred to me that people would think I would be opening the place up to visitors - I go out to do such things, I wouldn't want anyone round at my mum's place beyond an occasional hacking buddy.
Based on our experience:

For the area in front of stables they probably won’t want more concrete than necessary. Measure the length of horses!! (we reduced proposed m2 during the application process – and actually reduced further to save cost!). We have then used press in grass grid where concrete ends preventing the mud………
Good luck
This is the thing I really want to get as much as possible. My bigger boy is old and creaky and has been living out for 3 years but I won't have as much grazing here so my plan is to concrete a yard and fence it off so he can be "free-range" at night time. I will have a chat with my dad about that.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Our yard in front of the 4 x stable block is approx 12' of concrete which we have then extended , front and side , with heavy duty ex council paving stones ( v thick and non slip ! ) . We wanted to use the paving stones because we had been given a load for free and it saved us tons of money ( concrete being suprisingly expensive ! ) but as it turned out the council were very happy with them as they consider them ' not a permanent stucture ' , even though they've now been down for well over 25 years ! Not one has moved or cracked and they even get driven over quite regularly . I also use them as a base in my clipping/washing bay ( brilliant non-slip surface ) and in the hay barn , which also has an area used as a spare stable . They also serve as a soakaway for surface water on the yard , which you have to provide for as , like the slabs in the barn and stable , they were just laid on sand and left ungrouted and they drain brilliantly . If I was to start again from scratch I would build the whole yard on them - but just to emphasise that these are really thick , rough textured slabs , not the thin , smooth sort you get from B&Q to build a patio !