Stafford today

Harry44

Visit site
I wasn't there but have heard it's muddy! The xc is apparently not too bad but the sj and dressage are muddy and saw a pic of tractors towing out lorries. But this is third hand so someone who has been will know better.

mil1212

Visit site
I was dressage writing today, got there and lorries (and dressage judges!) were being towed on, was really wet. It did seem to dry through the day and I checked and they said they will move/roll the dressage arenas. I didn't walk the course as I am not jumping till last section on Sunday! As it's dried it seems to have become a bit 'taccy', which was very obvious in the dressage!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Stafford ground can change so much from day to day, I once walked the course on a Friday and it was muddy everywhere, did my competing on the Saturday when it was glorious with no mud (they moved the SJ course overnight), then watched my friend do hers the day after and it was a mire as it was raining again!

ollierdog

Visit site
I did the be90 this afternoon, dressage warm up, dressage rings, showjump warm up and ring were terrible at 2 this afternoon, very undulating and wet! They keep trying to move sjs around out of the mud but I think they will only be so many times they can be moved. Xc going was fab but not sure what everything will look like by Sunday and it's ment to rain:(

MardyMare

Visit site
I did the BE80 - agree with ollierdog, dressage warm up and rings were shocking as was main showjumping ring. I lost a shoe in the xc warm up but luckily there is a farrier on hand who managed to whip it back on for me and I held my place to continue xc. The actual cross country seemed ok with the exception down to the water which I thought was very boggy.

chocolategirl

Visit site
My daughter decided to withdraw after the dressage as her little horse hates heavy going and she is only 15 so was super keen to go cross country but it was the show jumping ring that made her decide to scratch. I thought it was a very grown up decision to make. Such a shame as she was so looking forward to it for weeks. Like I told her though there will be lots of other runs. Roll on kelsall!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
DR warmup was half closed off as it was so wet, and by the time I went in at 9.48, my arena was pretty churned up too.
SJ warmup was awful, they kept having to move the fences. SJ itself also pretty bad, really boggy in areas and cut up badly in front of fences.
XC warm up OK and I thought the course was pretty good actually, bit cut up in places and a couple of really boggy areas but horse made light work of it and finished feeling like he'd have gone around again.

Shame your daughter won't get to run WW.

smudge99

Visit site
I also was dressage writing for most of the day and was in the judges car that got stuck and had to be pulled free oops. The ground was deep but was getting better as the day progressed , daughter running late on Sunday so fingers crossed the weather forecasters have got it wrong !!

mil1212

Visit site
oh smudge I vaguely chatted to you at the end, whilst grabbing left over rolls, I was writing for the other 90 section :) And your daughter is probably in my section sunday!

TopTotty

Visit site
Well we drove for 2 1/2 hours to get there to find the SJ was horrendous. Parts of the XC was about 8inches deep with mud and the dressage apparently (although we didn't go to see) was really muddy and deep. A lot of horses looked absolutely shattered in the show jumping never mind the XC.
We withdrew as we did a suspensory in 2010 at Hutton in a better conditions than today. She is now fitter than ever but there is no way I would ever take that chance again.
The weather is not good over the weekend so it can only really get worse unless they move all the arenas???
We were pulled on and off the field by a tractor.
A long trip for a burger and a munch of grass and very disappointing for us but there is always another day and after two years of rehabilitation for a tweaked suspensory there is no way I am going back there!!!
Good luck if you go and take care....

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
The areas which hadn't been driven or ridden on were drying nicely and hopefully it will continue to do so. I had to be towed off the car park at the end of the day :/

Had a great day though, despite the weather! Had to smile at being told by the SJ coach that the best way to deal with SJ on that ground was just to kick like hell and hunt around the course! :D

TopTotty

Visit site
The areas which hadn't been driven or ridden on were drying nicely and hopefully it will continue to do so. I had to be towed off the car park at the end of the day :/

Had a great day though, despite the weather! Had to smile at being told by the SJ coach that the best way to deal with SJ on that ground was just to kick like hell and hunt around the course! :D

Yep til it injures itself....but you live and learn!! And I certainly learnt the hard way! Hope you haven't.......my injury wasn't apparent straight away!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Well we drove for 2 1/2 hours to get there to find the SJ was horrendous. Parts of the XC was about 8inches deep with mud and the dressage apparently (although we didn't go to see) was really muddy and deep. A lot of horses looked absolutely shattered in the show jumping never mind the XC.
We withdrew as we did a suspensory in 2010 at Hutton in a better conditions than today. She is now fitter than ever but there is no way I would ever take that chance again.
The weather is not good over the weekend so it can only really get worse unless they move all the arenas???
We were pulled on and off the field by a tractor.
A long trip for a burger and a munch of grass and very disappointing for us but there is always another day and after two years of rehabilitation for a tweaked suspensory there is no way I am going back there!!!
Good luck if you go and take care....

Were you in the 90? I did the 80 and it was pretty horrendous even walking it last night, so I can only imagine what it was like by the time the 90 SJ started. Thankfully mine doesn't mind wet ground, though I got tonnes of time penalties XC because I refused to go hell for leather on ground that deep.

TopTotty

Visit site
Were you in the 90? I did the 80 and it was pretty horrendous even walking it last night, so I can only imagine what it was like by the time the 90 SJ started. Thankfully mine doesn't mind wet ground, though I got tonnes of time penalties XC because I refused to go hell for leather on ground that deep.

Hi Yes and I was near the end too so another 50 odd horses would have gone round before me too!! Roll on Kelsall now :) Off to have a cry in the bath though :( I LOVE Stafford it is my favourite event and I was soooo excited but at least Tilly is safe and well :) We'll have to kick some booty at Kelsall to make up for it :) x

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yep til it injures itself....but you live and learn!! And I certainly learnt the hard way! Hope you haven't.......my injury wasn't apparent straight away!

I know - she just made me smile that's all, it was just a joke. Mine seemed absolutely fine after both SJ and XC, and in the field back at home. I am pretty careful about the ground usually. I have tended to hunt more than anything else but not been out once this season, despite local packs still meeting (mounted) regularly. Don't see the point on ground as bad as it had been. I just took it really steady round today, which horse was unimpressed about. Ended up with loads of time penalties for that reason, but it was too heavy to go for the time, I only wanted to come home safely. I'll keep an eye on him over the next few days for anything out of the ordinary, but he's pretty tough. He's a little Irish bog pony ;)

mil1212

Visit site
Hiya Mil1212 Susan is in group R but not on till after. 5 so hopefully no hold ups!
she's 3 horses before me :) although will have to keep an eye on the conditions between now and then, may even drive over sunday morning first!

very very true, don't want to break them at the first event of the year. this time last year wasn't sure my horse would be ridden again so would be foolish to throw that away!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Hi Yes and I was near the end too so another 50 odd horses would have gone round before me too!! Roll on Kelsall now :) Off to have a cry in the bath though :( I LOVE Stafford it is my favourite event and I was soooo excited but at least Tilly is safe and well :) We'll have to kick some booty at Kelsall to make up for it :) x

Good luck at Kelsall. I know they moved the fences for the 90 so you wouldn't have been going over identical ground to the 80, but it was churned up pretty much everywhere. The SJ steward told me to go in and begin cantering immediately around the edge... erm no, not when it's nearly 1ft deep in water and thick mud in places... we'll walk through it, thanks.

TopTotty

Visit site
I know - she just made me smile that's all, it was just a joke. Mine seemed absolutely fine after both SJ and XC, and in the field back at home. I am pretty careful about the ground usually. I have tended to hunt more than anything else but not been out once this season, despite local packs still meeting (mounted) regularly. Don't see the point on ground as bad as it had been. I just took it really steady round today, which horse was unimpressed about. Ended up with loads of time penalties for that reason, but it was too heavy to go for the time, I only wanted to come home safely. I'll keep an eye on him over the next few days for anything out of the ordinary, but he's pretty tough. He's a little Irish bog pony ;)

Oh I didn't realise he was a Little Irish Bog Pony! He should be fine then ;) Seriously though really hope he is ok and you sound like you are very sensible.......am v jealous that you got round! I'll just have to go and dream about that red frilly I missed out on in the bath now!!! ;) :) xxx

TopTotty

Visit site
Yep that's what I thought! Three years of getting her back to fitness and sound as a pound.....so not worth it. Be careful but if you do it make sure you have lots of fun too :) :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Oh I didn't realise he was a Little Irish Bog Pony! He should be fine then ;) Seriously though really hope he is ok and you sound like you are very sensible.......am v jealous that you got round! I'll just have to go and dream about that red frilly I missed out on in the bath now!!! ;) :) xxx

Thanks, I'm sure he will be fine. He loved it, he adores eventing, thinks it's the best thing that has ever happened to him! :D

At least you have Kelsall to look forward to, and everywhere will hopefully be drier by then!