Stage 5 Vetting.....

Cliqmo

Visit site
Personally no, apart from anything else I know too many incidents where horses have broken down only weeks or months after a 5 stage vetting and so they seem (to me) to be a waste of money. I certainly wouldn't pay to have another one done if the previous one is recent/legitimate.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would you still have a Stage 5 Vetting done, even if the horse had recently had one and passed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because the vetting is for the day of puchase - not the day before.....

jumptoit

Visit site
Yes - I know of someone who bought a horse off someone else's vetting and it hasn't been sound for more than a 3 month period in the 2 seasons he's had it.

sea_view

Visit site
Absolutely, a vetting is as good as the day it is done and no further IMO
smile.gif

tikino

Visit site
yes the vetting is for the day in question that the vet see's the horse. also you don't know if the horse has any underlying problems since the vetting

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
It may also be a requirement of your insurance company - Petplan insist on one for a horse valued over 3k but NFU its 5k (Ithink) - so worth checking with insurance company. But as the other have said a vetting is only good for the day it is done and can only pick up exisiting conditions and/or previous injuries/conditions.

kinglouis

Visit site
Yes...I nearly bought off a previous vetting (done 2 weeks before I saw the horse) but something nagged at me to have it vetted and it failed in work on cicles, was short in one hind leg so walked away. As it happens I bought a horse who flew throught the vetting and I have had 9 months of injuries so it doesn't mean you won't have issues!!!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
NFU - vetting rquired if a penny over 5k.

The two horses I've had have both had issues that wouldn't have shown up on a vetting (unless included scans, etc., which would have shown Dizzy's pelvis problem).