Stage One exam booked!

maggiestar

Visit site
After years of procrastination I've booked my stage one exam for December which I'm slightly excited about!
I'm taking the exam at a large, friendly riding centre where the horses are all lovely and mostly forward going (with the exception of one lazy boy who I HOPE not to ride on the day) so it should be OK. I'll also be taking lots of private lessons in the run up.
Who else here has taken their Stage One? Please share your experiences good and bad. Also any tips on getting an extremely lazy cob working in an exam situation would be appreciated.
Thanks!

pippixox

Visit site
i did mine about 4 years ago, at a center i had never been to before. i had a little bit of training at a local yard to just get my stable management correct: as the BHS is quite particular. but to be honest it wasn't that difficult, just had to remember how they like you to groom and answers to loads of basic questions. the riding again was quite simple, although i ended up with 2 tricky horses (think there were 6 of us in the group, and you rode 2 horses during the test) one was very forward and nervy and then i got the opposite, who tried to nap, i carried a whip and actually had to give it a big wack on the bum to get it to behave, but it worked!

ruth83

Visit site
Good on you!

If you have a look in the Careers section of the forum there are several lengthy posts from a member who detailed her full experience of the Stage 1 exam.

If you have a real hang up about this particular horse, I would be inclined to book a lesson or 2 specifically on him until you feel really comfortable. That way, on the day, you won't be put off if you do get him.

pippixox

Visit site
yes i passed, i'd never met the horses before, so you will have a massive help having ridden them all before! it's how you deal with them i guess, they will know if it is a nappy horse or has other difficult things, but really for stage one i was told they are meant to all be very straight forward rides. i will be fine, i'm sure you can do it all already, you just need to relax

maggiestar

Visit site
Thanks Ruth, I'll have a look. Unfortunately they don't let us specify a horse when we book lessons so it's all down to luck! It's only that one horse that I have problems with so hopefully I won't get him on the day, fingers crossed.
Pippixox, well done for passing! I will try to relax - deep breaths! :)

superpony

Visit site
I passed mine in November at a centre i didnt know. Just make sure you do everything in a safe way and you will be fine. Also speak up during the theory otherwise they will pick on the quiet ones for questions! We were given a choice of horses to ride so if you know them you have an advantage if you get choice, therefore make sure you are ready and move quick to get the one you want!

ruth83

Visit site
Have a chat with your instructor or the chief instructor and make them aware of the situation. Particularly if you have the exam booked. I'm sure they might bend a rule or 2 in preparing you to ensure you have the best chance possible.