Stallion Advice/Options for APHA Mare!?

RainyWolf

New User
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this forum and happy to meet you all! I'm new too breeding and wouldappreciate some advice/opinions on a stallion choice for my APHA mare, IF i decideto breed her. I'm doing this more out of curiosity! I'm leaning towards a Thoroughbred stallion that will add height, movement, and refinement (color doesnt matter, but it would be a bonus). I’m quite fond of the "Glitter Please" bloodline for Thoroughbreds in Dressage. I'm looking into breeding for a personal Dressage horse. I want a stallion that will complement her faults notadd to them.

So far I like the look of RFF El Dorado (BUT hes longer backed and so is my mare?), I would appreciate advice and opinions from those who know what they are talking about!

Last edited:

mel_s

Visit site
I think for dressage (unless we are talking unaffiliated and low level) you'd be better just buying something more specifically bred for it?

I love paint horses (have 4) and they can do anything. Great attitude. If i was to breed to my apha mare i'd find a good QH stallion. But the way they are built almost makes them opposite to what you require for dressage. Soemthing built more naturally for it would find it so much easier. A TB x paint would make a good sport horse and possibly a cracking jumper. It would dressage ok and if you were lucky it might be fab, but for how much it cost to breed one (with the risk of it may be good at dressage but may not be), it'd be cheaper just to buy something you actually wanted?