Stallion advice/suggestions.

Sophire

Visit site
I have a mare that I've always debated breeding from. Due to various circumstances I've decided that now (next year) will be the time to do it as long as the all clear has been given by my vet. I have never bred before but plan to do it by the book so to speak, and hopefully end up with a nice horse that when I've finished uni and got myself on my feet I can then work on and enjoy.

My mare is overly sharp and very quirky, though has a heart of gold. She was tricky to begin with and very trying both to ride and on the ground, but she has done a complete 180 temperament wise and now is a real joy to have around, bar the odd mare-ish moment. She's still extremely sharp to ride, but is not dangerous and would never dream of a feet off the ground moment.

All in all I'd like something to compliment her breeding which is here;
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/uptons+sophire
I have her AES stud card but not with me so can't fill in the blank at the bottom right now. I'd also like something to almost even her out conformationally;
26684_442444830394_7435358_n.jpg

She doesn't actually stand under herself quite so much behind usually but this is also the best picture to show her shoulde/long back/front legs.
She's touching on 16hh, has a good technique jumping, but not all that confident and has good movement despite being at a conformational disadvantage!

I'd preferably like something bigger, finer in the leg, saner in the mind and less sharp!

I know this is all very unrealistic, but I think ideally I'd just like a bigger, jumping stallion known for not throwing sharp offspring. Any ideas/recommendations?

ihatework

Visit site
Challon Z, a lovely all round sire with a temperament to die for, which he continually passes down to his foals

dianchi

Visit site
Just to bear in mind they say that 70% of temperament comes from the mare, so just keep a watch when foally is here!

eventrider23

Visit site
See I love Caretino Glory but would have to disagree with you on this one as he is super stallion and my god do they jump but he can be quirky and I have known his progeny to be very much the same. So I wouldn't set out to use him on a very quirky mare especially if not being produced professionally.

What is your stud fee budget??

Sophire

Visit site
I have around a £1000, maybe a bit more but I have an overall budget, for vets fees, bills for livery when she's due etc. that I want. Don't want to get caught short. It's my first time to breed and I'd like to do it right, and have all the help possible to ensure things go s smoothly as allowed.

ihatework

Visit site
See I love Caretino Glory but would have to disagree with you on this one as he is super stallion and my god do they jump but he can be quirky and I have known his progeny to be very much the same. So I wouldn't set out to use him on a very quirky mare especially if not being produced professionally.

What is your stud fee budget??

That's an interesting comment.
He is on my short list, and while a bit of character isn't a real problem (provided they have a genuine work ethic I do like a bit of spark!), I have trawled through you-tube and seen a number of clips of variuos stock jumping and a fair few of them seem a bit fussy in the head/contact, is this my imagination or is it something to consider?

eventrider23

Visit site
That's an interesting comment.
He is on my short list, and while a bit of character isn't a real problem (provided they have a genuine work ethic I do like a bit of spark!), I have trawled through you-tube and seen a number of clips of variuos stock jumping and a fair few of them seem a bit fussy in the head/contact, is this my imagination or is it something to consider?

I wouldn't say so. They are IME quite soft mouthed and so would not be ones to be bullied in the mouth and so don't like heavy handed riders but I wouldn't have expected them to be difficult in that sense/ Seriously quality horses overall.

mybutterfly

Visit site
For what it's worth when I went to speak to the by helpful Shirley at brendon stud about Caretino Glory: 'he breeds competition horses, not pets, therefore some are a bit sharp and tricky and they all like to be kept busy!' This is fine for me because I want an out and out competition horse and I'm more than prepared to get professional help every step of the way but I think it means some of his offspring might be a but much for some homes. This is straight from the horses mouth on the temperament of his offspring, if only everyone was so honest!

From what I saw off his offspring that day they had very nice workman like attitude to their jumping combined with fantastic talent. All were laid back in the stable and didn't put a toe out of place... In the context of a professionally run stud/jumping yard!

mybutterfly

Visit site
I wouldn't say so. They are IME quite soft mouthed and so would not be ones to be bullied in the mouth and so don't like heavy handed riders but I wouldn't have expected them to be difficult in that sense/ Seriously quality horses overall.

This is the impression I get too, although I haven't had a sit on any. I particularly loved Sussex Caretino (klarins) a 7 yo mare by him who's won just about everything you can as a 7yo! She is beautiful and looked like she had a lovely light mouth and easy self carriage. Lovely way of going and attitude to her work. Interestingly himself, he seems to always work in a plain loose ring snaffle.

eventrider23

Visit site
Klarins is a perfect example. Very soft mouthed and couldn't cope with a heavy handed rider on board and certainly doesn't need one as she is incredibly light in her frame - like her dad. His foals seem to be built in a an outline with the perfect necks for the right frame, etc.

ihatework

Visit site
That's good to know. Soft mouth is good! And might explain what I was seeing in some of the random you tube video's, it was an observation rather than a critiscism