Stallion being gelded at 8 years old...will he loose his instincts?

Charla

Visit site
Hello, I know of someone who is gelding an 8 year old stallion who has never covered a mare/ been used for stud duties. He's quite a laid back stallion, but will he loose all his stallion traits and instincts? And if so, how long would this take? Thanks in advance for any replies!

rhino

Visit site
I'm not quite clear by what you are referring to as 'stallion traits' as you say he is really laid back :confused: It really does vary between horses, but if they haven't covered they are normally fine :) Just make sure that you leave it long enough before you think of turning out with mares ;)

much-jittering

Visit site
Ditto Rhino.

Depends what you mean by instincts. I work with a gelding who was cut late having covered for a couple of seasons, and he is impecably behaved and not stalliony to handle/ride etc, totally ignores in season mares when he's in the arena with them etc (though he's never been turned out with mares, but that's standard for us anyway). However we do use him for teasing mares as he pushes the right buttons to find out where mare is at, without winding up one of our young covering stallions for the sake of finding out that she isn't ready. So you could say he still has 'stallion traits' - but he wouldn't dream of doing anything to a mare, even in season, if he was standing behind them in a ride etc.

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
Almost impossible to say. Gelding will probably reduce any stallion-like tendancies he currently has, but it's hard to predict how much by.

Over the years, we've cut quite a few older ones. Some barely change at all, some become easy geldings with no interest at all in mares which can safely live with them. Some of them the change is virtually overnight, some of them it may take up to six months or more.

So there is just no predicting it - it'll be a case of wait & see!

pines of rome

Visit site
My boy was gelded at 8 before I had him, I think he did cover a mare. I got him when he was nearly 10 and I would say he has kept some stallion traits if I am out riding and meet a mare he is very interested and will start to prance and arch his neck, but nothing more, he is turned out on his own, but has geldings next to him, he is ok with them over the fence but definately likes to be the boss!
Physically has retained quite a big stallion neck and a lovely coat, his behavior is quite good but he can be grumpy at times as well as being a little over affectionate towards me in a stallion like way!