Stallion choice for a sharp mare

Rainbow123

Visit site
Just after other people's opinions...

I have a 15.3hh Holstein mare, very sharp and incredibly spooky. Although I do not want a very very quiet horse I do not want to breed in anymore sharpness to her! She has an incredible jump but far too spooky for xc so need some boldness!

My first choice is Weston Justice, love everything about him the right size too as this is my mares first foal, does anyone have any other stallions I could consider?

Thank you :)

Rainbow123

Visit site
Forgot to say, her confirmation is not great and I would like a good allrounder, I will probably end up eventing but not above novice/int.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Sorry I can't help you on stallion choice as breeding from any of my horses has never been something I've considered. But if as you say her conformation isn't great, and also she has some undesirable personality traits, would you not be better off buying a nice all rounder rather than hoping she produces one? It might save a lot of expense and heartache.

Rainbow123

Visit site
She is out of action due to a ligament injury. I have no issues with her temperament just dont want anymore sharpness :) She has a super natural jump loves to be in work and is going insane after 6 months out hence why I want her to have a job!

Always Henesy

Visit site
Conformation isn't great and she is sharp & spooky?
You want to breed from her? :eek:

Breeding from a horse just because she is temporarily out of action with a ligament problem and needs a job is a good idea :confused:

I can't help with stallion choice either I'm afraid, but breeding isn't something you should do because your mare is bored. If you wanted to breed your forever horse from a mare you love, then fair enough.

It is a lot of money, time and stress to go down the breeding route and you may end up with something that has worse conformation and even more of a spook on it than your mare.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear :(

Booboos

Visit site
Sorry but I have to agree with everybody else.

If she's going loopy out of work I don't see how breeding from her will help. Getting her in foal and the extra weight of the pregnancy may affect her recovery.

The market is flooded with unwanted horses, why add one more?

TheMule

Visit site
I'd also say that sharp, too spooky to event, badly put togther and with an inury (partly casued by the bad confo?) would not inspire me to breed from her!!
Save your pennies and buy a nice young horse if you want a baby.

Otherwise, yes, Weston Justice produces bold horses with a good brain. But he cant work miracles.....

JandP

Visit site
Agree with the others too I'm afraid. She also won't realize she has a 'job' pretty much until the foal arrives, therefore negating the 'benefit' to her.

Weston Justice is also by Criminal Law who was actually rather large, and IME the size seems to skip a generation.

ribbons

Visit site
Not a good mare to breed from. By your own admission she has poor conformation, too sharp and spooky to compete and has an injury probably caused by her conformation faults.
As already said, justice is a super stallion but not a miracle worker.

Visit site
Hi My stallion may be perfect for your mare. He is an American Paint Horse I imported from the U.S.A.
His temperament is to die for, very laid back and kind. He loves human company and lives in a field next to two geldings with only an electric fence between them. I don't show him much but he always gets placed. We are now learning western riding and it is great fun. All of his foals have fantastic temperaments and are not spooky at all and they do well in the show ring. He is 15.2hh and homozygous for colour and has very good conformation. If you would like photos or more info just let me know. Christine.

Rollin

Visit site
I too own a stallion with a temperament to die for. No semen available at the moment and we don't take visiting mares. Some good relatives of his in the UK.

My boy is a Cleveland Bay. Sane and sensible. Which is why of course they can trot down the Mall with a million people waving flags and the bands playing.

Don't believe they are just carriage horses. Here are a few 50% Cleveland Bays

Arun Tor and Powder Monkey - dressage

North Flight and Madison Time - Tokyo and Mexico SJ teams

John of Gaunt - won Burleigh

Spring Pascall - on junior UK dressage team

Natterjack Toad - Champion Show cob

Two more Pony Champion eventers 50% CB (sorry can't remember their names right now)

With only 1/8th CB Baydale Venus - Supreme Champion Hack at HOYS at four years old and with perfect manners.

4x4

Visit site
Sorry, but so many good horses are being disposed of atm I can't see why you'd want to breed from anything that's less than perfect.

emlybob

Visit site
I too own a stallion with a temperament to die for. No semen available at the moment and we don't take visiting mares. Some good relatives of his in the UK.

My boy is a Cleveland Bay. Sane and sensible. Which is why of course they can trot down the Mall with a million people waving flags and the bands playing.

Don't believe they are just carriage horses. Here are a few 50% Cleveland Bays

Arun Tor and Powder Monkey - dressage

North Flight and Madison Time - Tokyo and Mexico SJ teams

John of Gaunt - won Burleigh

Spring Pascall - on junior UK dressage team

Natterjack Toad - Champion Show cob

Two more Pony Champion eventers 50% CB (sorry can't remember their names right now)

With only 1/8th CB Baydale Venus - Supreme Champion Hack at HOYS at four years old and with perfect manners.

Natterjack Toad is anything but a "cob". He is a ladies hunter! Very different in my book!

Rollin

Visit site
Natterjack Toad is anything but a "cob". He is a ladies hunter! Very different in my book!

He is a CBxTB but at HOYS was presented as a Show Cob - no offence to the lovely boy. I think the TB side was one of John Parker's Hungarian TB's. I am a great admirer of John Parker!!

emlybob

Visit site
I hate to disagree on here and go away from the subject at the post. But he was NEVER presented as a show cob!